SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: ASP or ASP.NET

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ASP or ASP.NET

I have been using ASP for my web pages, but friend of mine says that ASP.NET is better and more powerful. Which should I concentrate more on learning?

Drew
    ~Drew

There Is No Greater Joy Than Soaring High On The Wings Of Your Dreams, Except Maybe The Joy Of Watching A Dreamer Who Has Nowhere To Land But In The Ocean Of Reality.

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If ASP works for you, then stick with it. It will give a good base on which to learn new languages.

The doctor is in... silver trophy MarcusJT's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is nothing in ASP.Net that you can't do with classic ASP (and vice-versa). ASP.Net simplifies certain common tasks, but this comes at the expense of being shielded from the inner workings of the scripts you write. I often find that ASP developers lack some fundamental understandings about server-client interaction (particularly when JS is involved), and I think that ASP.Net will only make this more complicated for those beginning to program in it.

Once you have a solid grounding in ASP, then moving to ASP.Net is relatively straighforward, and it is easy to understand what is going on behind the scenes. It similar to the old web design in Notepad vs WYSIWYG (e.g. DreamWeaver) debate. Ultimately, if you want to be a good programmer, you need to understand the nitty gritty BEFORE you let something else simplify it, otherwise you'll be flummoxed when something goes wrong!

I suggest learning classic ASP, and moving to ASP.Net as and when you feel that classic ASP is holding you back. Without a doubt, ASP.Net has a lot of great features, and I will be moving to it in the not-too-distant future, but for the moment, classic ASP does everything I need it to (and more).

I agree with MooSpot on the "good base" point - because the client-server interaction is so transparent to developers, what you learn while developing ASP can be easily applied to any other server-side scripting language around, present and future. The fundamental principles of programming don't change, and a strong understanding of these will stand you in good stead for the future.

Other advantages (at the moment) to sticking with classic ASP include cheaper hosting, much greater community support (i.e. forums like this, tutorials, code banks, etc.)

Just my 0.02 (!)

M@rco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd advise in sticking with one or another. ASP does give you a good programming base to work with. The only problem is that things happen differently in .NET. I've heard ( from similar threads on this site ) that some ASP developers have a little trouble learning ASP.NET.

Here are some differences:

ASP is programmed linearly while .NET is more object oriented.

The .NET framework changes the way you implement the technology.

ASP is in VB SCRIPT ASP.NET is in Visual Basic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THanks all for your input. I have had a lot of computer theory background, and I am able to pick up languages relatively quickly, since all hae basically one or two structures. Actually, I have spent more time with OOP languages, so ASP.NET might be right up my alley. But this does answer my questions, so thanks guys!

Drew
    ~Drew

There Is No Greater Joy Than Soaring High On The Wings Of Your Dreams, Except Maybe The Joy Of Watching A Dreamer Who Has Nowhere To Land But In The Ocean Of Reality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the asp.net unleashed by Stephen Walther published by SAMS, and found that it is an extremely good book to learn asp.net.

BUT, I would like to have suggestion whether I should use the vb.net (visual studio.net) to code the asp.net or just use the simple notepad, like editplus (my favourite).
    Last edited by ckchin; Mar 18, 2002 at 15:34.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no programing or theory background but decided to dive into .net first. I figured that OOP seems to be the way forward plus c#, by all accounts is very similar in syntax to Java and has a lot in common with JavaScript too, so 3 birds with one stone.

I have to admit that trying to teach myself the concepts behind OOP from scratch is a struggle and the need for a 'real live' instructor or a college course is looking more and more likely.