SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Safe' payment methods

I'm interested in doing some projects I've seen online, but am worried about scams, and obviously want to make sure that both sides are happy with the work undertaken before payment.

I'm curious about the correct/secure method of payment from a project:

- Am I right I should avoid International Wire Transfers?
    - What's better? Paypal, Escrow or another service?
    - Am I right that Escrow is a intermediary banking service?

Thanks a lot.

SitePoint Enthusiast cheap freelancer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are coding it yourself, you can get payment via paypal , ask the buyer to write thanks for the service kind of comments, you can ask them to pay a percentage before you start the work.
    Or else use egold/moneybooker.
    Buyers may not prefer using Escrow.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is nothing wrong with international wire transfers, and in many respects it is the most secure transfer, since the money can always be traced. Within the EEC, it is usually also the fastest and cheapest transfer method. If something goes wrong, though, the transfer can only be reverted if the beneficiary agrees to it or through a civil lawsuit.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The safest payment method is to first of all use a contract that indicates exactly what you'll do for the price and then get enough money up front to cover the effort you put into the work. Although working through PayPal is unsecured, I've used it for over 8 years with no problem.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I understand.

Thank you all for your help.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mentioned escrow. You might want to look into services like escrow.com and rentacoder.com where there is some protection, as well as an arbitration process.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to check out rentacoder. I have projects that I'd like worked on.

As for payment methods, Paypal has always worked for me. I'm not sure about escrow, but that also seems like a viable method. I agree with the above mentioned contract, especially for large projects with a lot of money involved.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use paypal for most countries and payments. It also is one of the more popular payments so many people like paying with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcj662 View Post
    You can use paypal for most countries and payments. It also is one of the more popular payments so many people like paying with it.
    But a lot of people don't like receiving payments with it The fees are generally higher than most other payment methods

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruben K. View Post
    But a lot of people don't like receiving payments with it The fees are generally higher than most other payment methods
    What do you suggest then? If you work by check or money order, it slows projects down until you receive the payment and it clears through your bank.

PayPal fees are some of the lowest merchant account fees around. 2.9% + 30cents? Where do you find a lower fee than that for accepting credit cards? Plus with a paypal business account, the money you keep in your account draws 5% interest and you get 1% cash back on every credit purchase you make. No setup fee, no monthly handling fee and no annual charge. Where can you do better accepting credit cards?
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Solutions 4 Merc View Post
    I would have to say Paypal is a secure processor, but have higher rates then a broker for a processoe can give you and at any time they think you maybe processing too much money or your business is growing and turning in more sales, they can stop the transactions on your paypal account and request that you send in a toon on paperwork showing who you are and the business information. Also can have you refill out the sales volume page of their appl again before allowing your account to take transactions...
    1. What lower rates have you found?
    2. Paypal doesn't freeze your account if your business grows. They only freeze accounts when a)you alert them about identity t heft, b) they suspect that you are committing some type of fraud.
    3. I've used PayPal business account since 2000. I never had to send in a "ton" of paperwork. I only had to fill out an online form. The only other time I had to send something was when I got remarried and had to fax a copy of our wedding license to verify the the name change.

So I guess I'd like to know where you got your information?
    Linda Jenkinson