SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot lightwithoutheat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do I convert an audio file type into another...

How do I convert an audio file type for streaming media into another file type for use on another player without having to record it over again? For example, I created a streaming media file using Windows Media Encoder and I want to offer that same file to users of RealPlayer and QuickTime. How do I do this? Any info on this would be great. Thanks.

J.

SitePoint Evangelist azizur_rahman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its hard to get anything from WMA to other format you should have consider this before you went for WMA and actually recodred as WAV.

I've not come across such program that can do what you ask... what you can do is play back WMA and use real Producer to capture it. and same goes for Quick time.

I wish life of sounditor was easy...
    Azizur Rahman
    Web Application Developer

SitePoint Zealot lightwithoutheat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm...

I've seen numerous site that offer something via streaming media in various formats and I know for a fact that they didn't record it 3 times over either.

If I want to offer something to audiences in Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, and Quicktime, I shouldn't have to record it 3 times. I'll keep looking and asking... Thanks anyway.

J.

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'll find you will have to record it three times...

I play it (WMA, MP3 whatever) and re-record into MusicMatch Jukebox works really well with no hacking required - but then I don't use Real or Quicktime, only MIDI, MP3, WAV and WMV/WMA...
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, unless there is some REALLY clever PHP extension out that converts the files when a user picks a different format (this would also take ages for the server to do), you will have to encode the track three times, once for each version.

A good point to remember is that you should always use the original, uncompressed WAV, AIFF whatever to create the new compressed files from. Compressing an already compressed file will not make it smaller, and just degredate the quality further. Double compression is a no-no, triple, it may as well be playing on a Russian AM radio station with a weak transmitter (no offense, but it's quite far away from where I live!).

Personally I use Sound Forge... it's rock solid, fast and VERY comprehensive to handle any sound work.
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips