User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast DealExpert's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My new Hot Deals Forum

DealExpert.net

It just opened a few days ago, so don't expect too much.

Any comments?
    DealExpert.net - Forums
    Deals, Coupons, Freebies, Sweepstakes, and more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it that bad? why is it the only forum without a reply here?

DealExpert.net - Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the site is looking quite good. The color scheme is a little subdued for my tastes but it's cleanly laid out and presented.

The front page doesn't seem to scale down once you shrink your window - I'm wondering if it fits at 800 by 600 without side-scrolling. If it doesn't I would try to fix this.

You don't have an overwhelming amount of forums to start off with, which is good - I would take a few minutes to make sure at least all forums have at least some posts in them though.

Other forums are filled with predominantly single post threads - these seem to be deal listings. You might try re-organizing things a little here. Most of your top boards are full of single post announcements of deals - this makes your forums look dead to people coming by for the first time. Basically, your 'Hot Deals' section promotes announcements more than discussion and community. People may just ask: why would I post here if I can just stop by, find out about the deals and leave?

You may try adding a couple of more broad topic forums - maybe something targetted at frugal shoppers to share their tricks for saving cash. Maybe something for working moms? You need to get people talking and not just reading. You might appeal to your current membership to see what kind of topics they would like to see a forum devoted to. I just think that if your goal is to create a community you need a little something more than just deal postings to get there.

Hope that helped!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much dpickup. I think you gave me some good ideas on how I can improve my forums. I will work on it within the next few days.
    DealExpert.net - Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The colors are a little dark, but it still looks better then a few other forums I've seen. Anywho, I've been posting some of the deals over at windrivers.com forums and everyone loved them so much I just ended up posting a link over there to your site, I hope you don't mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course I don't mind. Thanks.

Redarding the colors, I will create different styles at the end of the month so that every (registered) user can choose a color combination he likes.
    DealExpert.net - Forums