User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaving the forums

One last question, before I leave the forums for good, I have an array containing binary values for characters A-Z and numbers 1-9, how do I create the bars within a barcode based on these values.

I have searched google, yahoo, lycos, dogpile you name it, ive searched it, and can't find anything.

Any Help Much Appreciated!!!!!

Bye!

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the class I gave you a link to ages ago. It's nothing to do with binary, you just put the string/number in the function, and it's done.

I know you want to make a class to do it, but there are three rules you need to follow:
    1) If it aint broke, don't fix it.
    2) Don't re-invent the wheel
    3) If you don't know how it's done, don't try to make it.

oh, and one more
    4) Don't jump in too deep unaided before you can swim without armbands and a float.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's wrong in trying?

So how are the bars created using the code found at the following address?:

http://www.sid6581.net/cs/php-script...e/barcode.phps

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP Code:
    What's wrong in trying? 
    The fact you've made 43 posts, that's 6 posts a day, on practically the same thing and you still don't know how to read what looks to me quite basic code. That's what. Learn PHP by logic - learn how to swim, not how to get saved by lifeguards.

Oh, btw, the code uses the GD library. Why don't you just use that code? You don't have the knowledge of PHP to make it yourself, trust me.

Sincerely,
    A lifeguard.

lmao
    Jake Arkinstall

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need to leave the forums, you need to start learning rudimentary coding stuff and how to use google.
    Start from the beginning. What is a variable?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need to leave the forums
    I'm not sure, but I think he's been formally asked to leave by the moderators.
    Jake Arkinstall

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dysan, Tictac, Chaos, MegaFive, 4Aces, Whoever you are.

I recommend that you stop doing this project and start one that's MUCH simpler, something like a simple script which allows you to get a record from a database. If you get stuck, go much simpler and start from a simple script which responds to a form being sent (such as a "hello".$_GET['name'] script).
    Work your way up. You're drowning, man.

By the time you've done the simpler projects, and you understand stuff like the GD library, go for it. until then - stay clear. It's advice we've all given you - maybe you should take it.
    Jake Arkinstall

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think he's been formally asked to leave by the moderators.
    Uhh... OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Dysan View Post
    I have searched google, yahoo, lycos, dogpile you name it, ive searched it, and can't find anything.
    You have to search within you, that's where the answers lie. Do you want to
    be a programmer? Then read.

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    he's gone......
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HA HA HA!!!!!!!! I can't believe it! Is he giving up? He should have taken the advice that many people have given, including me!!!!! (Pick up a book and read, start at the beginning and skip nothing)

SitePoint Evangelist spoondevil's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tbakerisageek View Post
    HA HA HA!!!!!!!! I can't believe it! Is he giving up? He should have taken the advice that many people have given, including me!!!!! (Pick up a book and read, start at the beginning and skip nothing)
    It's so much easier to get someone else to do your work for you then site back and watch the latest soap opera.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    Use the class I gave you a link to ages ago. It's nothing to do with binary, you just put the string/number in the function, and it's done.

I know you want to make a class to do it, but there are three rules you need to follow:
    1) If it aint broke, don't fix it.
    2) Don't re-invent the wheel

oh, and one more
    4) Don't jump in too deep unaided before you can swim without armbands and a float.
    Wow, I am impressed with your post. And you are only 15 years old? Amazing!

It sounds to me like he may need some paid help for a while until he gets a little better. While I know my way around PHP pretty well, I don't write code everyday, and try to reserve that task for people who do.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. You should see the rest of my posts .

I think he's a bit beyond help - it's his ego that's the problem.

If only you could see my PM box from early september. He sent me nearly 25 PMs in one day, each of which I helped him with (like a fish to the hook), and he replied back, asking for help on understanding the code I gave him...and it was only simple if() statements.

When I told him to follow some good tutorials, he either directly copied the code (and still messed it up) against advice, or ignored what I said, saying that he only needs to do "this one job".
    Jake Arkinstall

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spoondevil View Post
    It's so much easier to get someone else to do your work for you then site back and watch the latest soap opera.
    I like writing code for the dynamic problem solving that is required. I do it for the fun, and having learned something new and useful.

I can't imagine paying someone else to do it for me. Even if I did, watching TV would be the last thing on my list of things to do. How about taking a walk? spending time with loved ones?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol - I know loads PHP job-distributers, and even they don't have the time to sit back and watch TV.
    Jake Arkinstall

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

bar code

I sometimes "re-invent the wheel", "try to fix what ain't broken", and "try to do stuff I don't quite understand". But I don't try to get others to write the code for me, I do it for the fun of the learning experience, at my own pace.
    It sounds like this may have been some sort of homework assignment. It seems that any "job" would be willing to use existing libraries at least as a base.
    There is nothing wrong in trying to learn about GD, but some understanding in basics is a pre-requisite.
    I tend to take my patience for granted, but it seems most don't possess this virtue.
    I have enough of my own code to work with, so I usually don't simply fix someone else's code and post the results (exception, the DigitalFingerprint plugin). But I have no problem helping someone learn how to trouble-shoot, like "What does echo $var show?".
    That old "Teach someone to fish ... " thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittineague View Post
    I sometimes "re-invent the wheel", "try to fix what ain't broken", and "try to do stuff I don't quite understand". But I don't try to get others to write the code for me, I do it for the fun of the learning experience, at my own pace.
    It sounds like this may have been some sort of homework assignment. It seems that any "job" would be willing to use existing libraries at least as a base.
    There is nothing wrong in trying to learn about GD, but some understanding in basics is a pre-requisite.
    I tend to take my patience for granted, but it seems most don't possess this virtue.
    I have enough of my own code to work with, so I usually don't simply fix someone else's code and post the results (exception, the DigitalFingerprint plugin). But I have no problem helping someone learn how to trouble-shoot, like "What does echo $var show?".
    That old "Teach someone to fish ... " thing.
    I think what you are trying to say, and I agree with you whole heartedly, is that those rules are meant to be broken for Learning sake. I've definately written code that has probably been written a hundred times before between my own custom templating system, form creation and validation, navigation, user authentication, session control, permissions and image manipulation/creation. But it was all worth it because I learned a lot in the process, and now if something breaks, I know how to fix it!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only one thing puzzles me, What is he trying to do? If it were a class, he would not have gotten far enough along to be asked to create an application.
    (salchester)
    No, this is not homework.
    For your information, I not even at college

however I found this http://www.gidforums.com/t-6983.html and it is tictac, it's his sig and alias which means he has ventured into c++.

Aparently he somehow did set up apache as localhost on his windows box from looking at his (unlimited) errors, and none of the paths suggested he was on a production server so it is unlikely he really had a paying customer.

from what I gather he wants a login script, pdf creation, calendar, upload videos, random job rotator and is totally obsessed with barcodes. All of which he never got working. He couldnt get the available classes working so he sets out to create his own??

It will allways puzzle me as to what his ultimate end result was supposed to be because he seemed determined (not) to get it.

I'm bewildered, I need a

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't you realize He is starting the next GoogleYouTubeFlickrDigg? Its all based on software he wrote, from scratch mind you, and will run right on his home system (That is probably crawling with spyware and viruses)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by lorenw View Post
    Only one thing puzzles me, What is he trying to do? If it were a class, he would not have gotten far enough along to be asked to create an application.

however I found this http://www.gidforums.com/t-6983.html and it is tictac, it's his sig and alias which means he has ventured into c++.

Aparently he somehow did set up apache as localhost on his windows box from looking at his (unlimited) errors, and none of the paths suggested he was on a production server so it is unlikely he really had a paying customer.

from what I gather he wants a login script, pdf creation, calendar, upload videos, random job rotator and is totally obsessed with barcodes. All of which he never got working. He couldnt get the available classes working so he sets out to create his own??

It will allways puzzle me as to what his ultimate end result was supposed to be because he seemed determined (not) to get it.

I'm bewildered, I need a
    what is that icon i can't figure it out..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wonshikee View Post
    what is that icon i can't figure it out..
    Easiest way to determine how someone used an icon is to click the Quote button and see what the code is. in this case it is [colon]drinky[colon]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tbakerisageek View Post
    Easiest way to determine how someone used an icon is to click the Quote button and see what the code is. in this case it is [colon]drinky[colon]
    well it has an alt tag drinky but doesn't look like any drink i've seen for some reason it looks more like a streetlight..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd try clearing your cache and try again. other than that, navigate directly to the image in question and refresh the page... see if it updates.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't you realize He is starting the next GoogleYouTubeFlickrDigg?
    Exactly what I was thinking and what does he have that they dont, BARCODES!!

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    maybe he was being paid hourly....
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....