User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I remove content from General blog

Hi all,

I've been offered the chance to buy a general blog, with a lot of unrelated entries, but quite strong SERP in some. The front page is PR6, but all of the entries bar a couple seem to be in Google's supplementary index. Traffic is under 200 visitors per day and seems to come from a variety of search engines that have indexed deep content (unrelated to the main keywords), or from authority sites linking to it because the current owner had produced some free templates, which where most of the backlinks come from, ie a link back to the site from the template.

Currently the site is monetized using AdSense and the position of these seem to be in the hotzones recommended by Google, but revenue is only between 0-40cents per day.

If I was to buy this site, would it be a good idea to remove unrelated entries, and tighten up the keyword density on the remaining entries. At present the blog has over 300 entries but at least 150 of them are unrelated and I'm concerned that this could be why traffic is so low.

I want to preserve the PR6, but I would need to increase traffic. And of course I want to monetize the site and use it to create a part time income. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If it were me, I probably wouldn't remove the entries but instead leave them there. Is the reason you are asking is because you are interested in improving your revenue, or are you just trying to tighten up the site?

Do you plan on making it a very niche blog or will there be room for overlap? I think what it comes down to are your goals.
    Sara

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to suggest deleting pages that are not linked/ge zero traffic but since this is a decent PR domain i'd say keep them. You could go as far as rewriting some of the pages to better suit your niche and help with your subject.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to both of you,

If I buy it, I'd want to get revenue from the site, I'm not terribly interested in the actual content on the site, a few of the entries are worth keeping, although most are approx 150 words. What I'm most interested in is the PR6 and the existing 'make money from home' entries along with the templates. The current owner uses a mixture of travel, templates, make money, apple mac type keywords just to name some.

The organization of the site is quite messy with a combination of categories and tags. It seems like 30% of the traffic arrives at the blogger template page, and looking at the AdSense on that page it's rubbish advertising that I doubt would ever make more than a cent or two per click.

As far as monetization goes I'd like to use a combination of AdSense, Clickbank and TextLinkAds.

So, if I delete the entries I don't want, would this affect the PR?
    If I tidy up the navigation so that unrelated keywords never appear on the front page (or main pages) and keep these unrelated entries, will this have any affect on the PR, traffic, or expected income?
    Should I consider rewriting the entries that are around 150 words to give them more substance, or is this a waste of time?

I appreciate you taking the time to talk to me about this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    if you delete the entries you don't want, yes it could affect PR, it really depends on how many other blogs are linking to them. I would set up webmaster tools for the site and really check out the stats and see where you can be flexible.

There is nothing wrong with beefing up some of the articles, but, I'm sure you would rather spend your time growing and marketing the blog.
    Sara

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each page has its own PR which is 'traded' around from pages that it links to, both inside the domain and on other sites. If you delete a page that is linked from another site you will lose pagerank on that page, and on pages that it links to. The safe bet would be to rewrite the content to improve on each page's content.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once again, thank you both. Despite the effort involved in rewriting a bunch of pages I think I'll follow that advice. The PR6 is too valuable to lose, especially since I have no idea how to build it back up again if I inadvertently delete pages that contribute to it.

Hope this discussion helps other webmasters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not remove anything at all! It will ruin the SERPs and may hurt your incoming traffic from search engines!