SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Interactable Div Popup On Hover/Mouseover?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to make a page that works like so:

A preset height div is displayed that shows only so much of an entry and is rather small. Upon moving your mouse over this box, which will not be an image, a popup box will appear at the mouse enlarging the contents of the box.

I would like it so that if you click the box, the window will stay open and you can interact with it's contents, then having to click an 'x' in the corner to close it. There will be several of these on one page.

I am familiar with html/css/javascript but not to a point where I could code something like this. My problem is: where do I start and in what language(s) would it be possible to do something like this? Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated

To see where I'm coming from, have a look at how http://www.fotolia.com does there image rollovers. It would work just like it but would not be just enlarging the picture and if you where to click the picture, the box would stay open and you could fill out a form inside it.

Please point me in the right direction.

chris

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by methochris View Post
    I would like it so that if you click the box, the window will stay open and you can interact with it's contents, then having to click an 'x' in the corner to close it. There will be several of these on one page.

Please point me in the right direction.
    I think UltimaTips fits that specification.
    Tab-indentation is a crime against humanity.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing!

I've been looking forever and you hit the nail right on the head.

Thank you so much!

But, are there otherways this is possible/easier with or without javascript?

Anymore input from anyone would be awesome.

Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Javascript Compatability

It is absolutely vital that this work on a wide range of browsers.

I know JS has been around forever. Are there still things that give some browsers problems? Is something like this able to work on the range of browsers I need.

Is it ever possible to do something like this without the browser giving a warning?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by methochris View Post
    It is absolutely vital that this work on a wide range of browsers.

I know JS has been around forever. Are there still things that give some browsers problems? Is something like this able to work on the range of browsers I need.

Is it ever possible to do something like this without the browser giving a warning?
    I presume that you're not getting any warnings. It works in I.E., Mozilla, Opera & Safari (Win) and theoretically should work on any W3C DOM - compatible browser, which in practice means anything realistically usable on today's internet.
    Tab-indentation is a crime against humanity.