SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Write up of new project

Ok thanks for viewing, well basically im writing up a new website, but i need to be able to write it up for the designer in full detail since the project is a bit complex to design. And also i need to be able to write it up for the programmer, do you guys know any way of organized structure i can follow or program? Ive been getting suggestions on powerpoint, excel and even word but i figured i can use word if i can find a great structure to follow. I need to be able to write the site out including pointing out errors, strong points of the site etc. Its a content site btw which will generate revenue from ads Any suggestions let me know Thanks!

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to tell what you mean by "write it up."

You want to write up a requirements document for a site developer, and a creative brief for a designer, plus a content strategy brief for content writers.

To help you think through the site structure, before you write up requirements, you can use wireframe diagrams. This allows you to revise without waste huge amounts of time. Code, on the other hand, once written is almost like cement. Once people spend time and effort coding, they are loath to admit any radical changes should be made.

People think these things take a lot of time, but I've taken a site from a vague idea to a basic outline in 90 minutes. And this was a site matching up investors with venture capital sources.

Planning is rarely a wast of time. Failure to write up a plan for a website, on the other hand, can waste much more time, effort, and money than anyone seems to be able to imagine.

Related:

Practical Applications: Visio or HTML for Wireframes. Far too many websites aren't planned, they just happen. Visio or something like it is how many design agencies map out site structure.

Real Wireframes Get Real Results Wireframes keep stakeholders from fixating on distracting trivialities that create big problems with strategic necessities which makes sites successful. This article explains what wireframes are and why you don't go straight to HTML or start picking out CMS templates without knowing what your objectives are.

How To Write a Web Site Design Brief A lot of design degenerates into mind reading and vague generalities nobody understands but the stakeholder. Design briefs get specific about what you want where "and make it cool looking" or "Web2ify it" means nothing.

What Is Content Strategy And Why Should You Care? Many companies have a technology plan to get the website running, but no plan to get the right content onto a complex website. Content strategy starts with the assumption that if content is important, you plan for it - no matter what kind of site.

Forums and social sites continue to fail right and left because they didn't have any plan, they just assume the content would show up once the site got running. "Build it and they will come" is not a plan. Social sites don't automagically generate user contributed content just because they can.

The Importance of Requirements and Specifications functional and technical requirements are usually not neglected. Rather, since there is no strategy of objectives, the technology works flawlessly but not for the objectives the company requires. Technology without objectives means you have fine tools and, upon climbing the shiny new ladder you put up, you find the ladder is leaning against the wrong wall, is planted in quicksand and sinking fast.
    Last edited by DCrux; Oct 9, 2007 at 02:53.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks much, this should be basically what i need here, the structure to write up a project for details for the designer, and the programmer on top of the what to not to and to do on the project.. I haven't read through the links you posted just yet however from reading the titles im sure it will help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear it.

Sometimes people don't understand the content writing that goes on before there is a site. Instructions and plans are content writing too.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right so true, i believe that writing up a project and eliminating things and problems etc is always best once you actually jot down your thoughts etc you'll notice far more ideas, features and even problems that may occur. Its like sorting out a puzzle or untangling something. Its always best to do it this way, you'll notice the strong points and weak points of your site!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another concept you may want to look into is SWOT analysis.

I include it whenever I'm planning a site or doing a site critique. A formal critique is much more in-depth than the comments you get in site reviews at forums.

SWOT = Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats.

Related:

Jim Collins Speaks the Truth -- brutal facts and why companies avoid them.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweet! Got any good marketing articles or techniques that you use?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    -- Sun Tzu
    Strategy dictates the marketing techniques. It's far too easy to fall in love with a tactic that takes you off strategic course.

Strangely enough, especially with online business, people don't seem to know the difference between a tactic and a strategy. For most people "tactical" is deciding what to eat for lunch and "strategic" is deciding what you'll eat for dinner.

Close, but no cigar. My slight change would be Tactics is picking something to eat from the menu once you're sitting in a restaurant. Strategic is being on "The Atkins Diet" or whatever named diet plan. This will determine what, when and how much you'll choose wherever you eat.

I've met big businesses and "strategic thinkers" that don't understand how strategy drives and multiplies the effectiveness of tactics. Consequently most marketing strategy becomes a mishmash of hearsay, trial-and-error mixed with a good measure of luck. Half the time one tactic either cancels out or interferes with others.

In other words I could tell you ....but then I'd have to bill you. (little joke)

Seth Godin's purple cow idea is a fairly good start. The idea is quite old, develop a unique selling proposition. Godin's twist is you have to tell an authentic story to drive your difference into the marketplace.

Related:

Ideas vs. Opportunities knowing the difference

Read my post on ideas here.

One-on-one with marketing guru Seth Godin
    explaining the purple cow. A companion piece is Your Idea: Cash Cow or Passing Fancy?

Finding Your Unique Selling Proposition

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, thanks a lot man, we'll im waiting on my bill! no lol, thanks again

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to get a good night read today about SWOT analysis and see how it could help me to build a site myself!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A List Apart, for people who build websites, has a good explanation of strategy planning, and what happens without a strategy....

Never Get Involved in a Land War in Asia (or Build a Website for No Reason)

Have you ever gotten to a site that seems to be talking to itself? No purpose. Boring content that doesn't seem up to snuff with what you're reading elsewhere? Strategic blindness. A site that doesn't acknowledge competitors exist and never develops a competitive advantage? Not seeing the big picture.

Without looking at the big picture strategy, a site can look perfect in isolation and still be disastrously off focus for its target customer and competitive environment.