SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Free' site hosting?

I have just been told about this host, does anyone know anything about it? I can't see the catch but neither can I see how it's funded.

http://www.webng.com/

SitePoint Enthusiast ClickForDeals's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just signed up and can't actually figure out how they make money either. They registration email includes an upgrade option, but that isn't even available on the site. It may stay this way for a short time to get new members, but I can't figure out how this is sustainable. Does anyone see anything I'm missing?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone somewhere else thought that as it was only offering IE access it might be a M$ offshoot but I think that's taking conspiracy theory a bit far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cant view????
    Good quality and best price of LED Display|and T5, T8 LED Tubes

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ecctao View Post
    cant view????
    Sorry about that, the link still works for me using IE7.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks like the ideal free hosting for people using obsolete web technologies such as ASP and Access. Looks like they don't offer .NET or MSSQL which is the way anyone developing sites on Windows servers should be doing it.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I view it perfectly well. Looks nice.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I saw http://www.zymic.com advertising on Sitepoint so I went to the site and checked it out.

I have absolutely no idea how they make money. They say that their other businesses are funding the free webhosting, but I don't know what other busineses they are in?

Maybe we will get to the point where webhosting is given away so companies can then sell the visitor information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some companies start off by offering free services to gain some publicity and then when they can't afford to keep it free, they start charging. I am not sure if this is the case here.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some companies start off by offering free services to gain some publicity and then when they can't afford to keep it free, they start charging.
    Well, it's hard to keep on giving something completely for free, no ads no nothing, indefinitely. But free is a powerful proposition if you're after getting lots of users quickly. That can easily get the ball rolling once you decide to offer a paid service (assuming you consistently get praise for the free one).
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Well, it's hard to keep on giving something completely for free, no ads no nothing, indefinitely. But free is a powerful proposition if you're after getting lots of users quickly. That can easily get the ball rolling once you decide to offer a paid service (assuming you consistently get praise for the free one).
    The trick is to provide the free hosting with theirown custom web editor that generates pages that will not work on anyone else's hosting. That way when they do start charging people have a choice of paying, dropping their site completely, or rebuilding their site from scratch.

There are a number of web hosting providers that offer a free trial period who use that method to try to lock those trying it out in to using them.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trick is to provide the free hosting with theirown custom web editor that generates pages that will not work on anyone else's hosting. That way when they do start charging people have a choice of paying, dropping their site completely, or rebuilding their site from scratch.
    Interesting. It was a secret for me. I never can get where their profit.
    I have heard if you rich some PR with your web site with their sub domain name they start asking you to pay or you lose domain name etc
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ~ServerPoint~ View Post
    Interesting. It was a secret for me.
    I had someone in one of my computer classes where they had been using a hosting provider that offered a free trial period. That person had decided they didn't want to stay with that host when their free period ended and wanted to move their site to a different hosting provider. When I looked at how the tools on that site had built the web pages a lot of the page structure used CSS and images that were separately hosted by that provider and which therefore couldn't be moved to a different provider. In order to be able to move their site my student had to replace those parts of their page design with something else. This they were only ablt to do with my assistance and so if they hadn't been taking my class they would have been stuck using that provider if they wanted to continue with that site.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post

There are a number of web hosting providers that offer a free trial period who use that method to try to lock those trying it out in to using them.
    Free trial or the free hosting services are not same always. I have seen provider like lifelesspeople.com who works as beta tester for earning. It differs from industry to industry I suppose.
    Mellowhost - Affordable Cpanel and WHM Reseller Hosting
    R1Soft, RVSitebuilder, RVSkin, Softaculous, Fantastico
    Learn Hosting

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talence View Post
    Free trial or the free hosting services are not same always.
    If the "free" hosting provider isn't placing ads on your web pages or using some other means of receiving a regular payment for supplying you with the hosting then they are effectively only giving you a free trial period with their hosting. They may not specify now how long that period will be for but at some point they will be telling everyone using their free hosting that they now need to start paying for the hosting. If they don't then the free trial period will end with the bankruptcy of the hosting provider who have spent all their money giving away hosting.

When you look at "free" hosting you need to ask the question "what does the provider get for giving me this hosting?" and make sure that the answer is that they are going to be paid at least as much for giving you the hosting as they could charge for it through whatever mechanism they use (ads, surveys, or whatever). If you can't see how they can make $10 from giving you hosting thay would cost you $5 elsewhere then either you haven't looked hard enough or the hosting is really only for a trial period so they can lock you into using their custom editor.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's better to use pay host. Because the free host is not garentee

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by losangelescarren View Post
    It's better to use pay host. Because the free host is not garentee
    That is truth. But I think that people which sign up for the free web hosting do understand how "serious" free host is.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have google ads on there site. So they must be making some from that.

I use http://000webhost.com there great.