SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone,
    I was wondering whether GoTo actually worth paying money for. I mean .02c for a visitor is not a lot, but hundreds of sites bid on the same price and it might take several pages before a visitor will actually get to me.

Also, how much do you think is a reasonable price to bid?

What do you think of them altogether?
    Thanks
    Boris
    ---------------------------
    Echo Web: The Web Developer's Starting Point http://echodev.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In order for it to work for you must bid high enough to at least be in the top ten. If you can't do that then don't bother. I've tried both ways.
    Stephanie

------------------
    Courtesy of http://www.lingeriemonthly.com lingerie subscription service delivered to her door, gift wrapped and enclosed with a romantic note.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Goto.com worth it? In my opinion, yes.

There's a trick to solving that problem with paying for a high-traffic keyword: find one with lower traffic and less bids that is still searched often enough to be worth bidding on. For example, the keyword "onmouseover" is highly trafficed but has only one bidder: webmster-resources.com. My site happens to rank in the top 5 on that page already so I'm not going to bid on that keyword, but if I weren't listed there already I would.

How much is a good amount to bid? Depends on the current price of the bids on the search results of that keyword & how much you want to spend. I personally am not bidding higher than 5 cents per click because my smaller website only generates about $25/mo.

Hope this helps.

--
    Dan Grossman (webmaster@websitegoodies.com)
    WebSiteGoodies (www.websitegoodies.com)
    Comprehensive resources for new web developers -- Learn to build the web, Create for your site, Promote your website.

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone,
    About 10 days ago I decided to sign up with GoTo and i gotta say that i'm very satisfied with results. I bid on about 100 keywords no more than 2 cents and i get about 65 visitors/day for 70 cents. I think it's great.

Boris

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that some sites are paying $.99 for a top listing in the results for "Business." Stupid, because WHO would search for "Business" anyways?

------------------
    Who the heck is Gen. Failure and why does he want to read my hard drive?
    Soon to come: Aspology.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I just looked up business in the Goto.com search term suggestions guide. It says the keyword "business" was searched 84180 times in March which is a darned lot.

From what I've read the best way to get good results with goto.com is to use their search term suggestions guide which tells you how many times a term was searched and gives you common phrases with that term in it for the month of March. I used this to compile a list of about 200 keywords & keyphrases relevant to my site that had a large number of searches yet I can get a top 5-10 listing with 2 cents or less; this is how I'm preparing to buy my own listings in the near future.

Hope this helps,
    Dan Grossman
    webmaster@websitegoodies.com
    http://www.websitegoodies.com - FREE Tools and Resources for Web Developers

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, but my point is that unless it was part of a search for "Business Solutions, inc." then usually it would not be up to the targeting that you'd wish for in GoTo.com.

------------------
    Who the heck is Gen. Failure and why does he want to read my hard drive?
    Soon to come: Aspology.com

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot for everybody's opinions.

I signed up with GoTo amonth ago. I bidded on about 200 keywords. The results?

29 days (237 keywords)= ~ 1208 visitors for about 12.36 dollars

Not bad, not bad at all

I signed up with FindWhat a couple of days ago and they bring me 10-50 visitors/day for 20-50 cents. Also, not that bad.

Anyway, check out http://echodev.com/articles/goto/

Boris

------------------
    Echo Web: The Web Developer's Starting Point
    http://echodev.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the real trick is to bid on search terms that people, who might be prepared to spend money at your site, might use.

"Business" for example is too vague, and may be being counted as part of longer searches e.g. business solutions, ice-cream business, monkey business, funny business, death to business!!, and so forth.

If you're only interested in getting people interested in 'internet business' or 'business solutions', then bid on those, and let the desperate ones with deep pockets bid on very general terms like 'mp3', 'sex' 'cars' 'business' or whatever.

TigerTom 0~> http://www.tigertom.com

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sites that sell advertising Goto is a sure bet.

For instance at 20 CPM you are making 4 cents for every impression. Each visitor is atleast 1 impression so if you just bid up to 3 cents on any term, you're always gaining money when someone clicks on it.

Chris