SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going from beta to release, what do you think?

http://www.Qriosity.com
    After several month of hard work, I added more functionality and redesigned the site.
    What do you think? Any ideas and comments are appreciated.
    Please pay attention to:
    1) Design
    2) Content
    3) Usability
    4) Ad placement
    5) Would you use it? Why?

Thank you.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the design, it's very stylish.

You have two spelling errors in your title.

SitePoint Enthusiast Paintingblack's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice website, but it could use improvements in a few areas.

- The entire gradient around the edges is a little too dark, try turning down the opacity.

- The search is very hard on the eyes (change your font to Arial), and take off the anti-aliasing in the search button. The search is also very badly placed, it looks like you ran out of space and had to stick it somewhere. Try either shifting the search bar under your navigation (home | faqs & about | contact), or search up a live AJAX search. With a bit of AJAX your site could go far.

- The orange on the entire site is not very appealing. Try changing the background to a dark grey, and the rest to a pale blue. Orange is hard to pull off.

- *Important* - Your home page should not be about the search leader. Let the user search for what he/she wants, and offer suggestions, instead of forcing them to view something they might not want to.

- Your tabs are visually appealing, but take away from the site. Try adding AJAX tabs, so users aren't forced to go to a new page every time they want to see what "the top movers" or "search leaders". Also, have them hidden by default, and only visible if the user wants them to be.

- Take away some of the "Web 2.0" bookmarking buttons. If the user wants to bookmark your site, they'll do it themselves, not by clicking a button on your website. Only leave 2-3.
    PaintingBlack.com - Quality Articles and Web Design

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clean design. Few things:

-The background color of the Ebay ad you are running on the right doesn't match with your body color, you may want to tweak that.
    -The page should not load to the #1 search leader. Have it open to the most recent searches and let the user figure out what they want to look for from there.
    The Critical Critics -- brutally honest movie reviews.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice overall look, nice logo.

I'd say you could use with a bit more variety in categories and content, just to get the users hitting the page to stick around a bit.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perdii View Post
    I like the design, it's very stylish.

You have two spelling errors in your title.
    Thank you for noticing... I looked through the site hundres of times and never noticed )

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintingblack View Post
    Very nice website, but it could use improvements in a few areas.

- The entire gradient around the edges is a little too dark, try turning down the opacity.

- The search is very hard on the eyes (change your font to Arial), and take off the anti-aliasing in the search button. The search is also very badly placed, it looks like you ran out of space and had to stick it somewhere. Try either shifting the search bar under your navigation (home | faqs & about | contact), or search up a live AJAX search. With a bit of AJAX your site could go far.

- The orange on the entire site is not very appealing. Try changing the background to a dark grey, and the rest to a pale blue. Orange is hard to pull off.

- *Important* - Your home page should not be about the search leader. Let the user search for what he/she wants, and offer suggestions, instead of forcing them to view something they might not want to.

- Your tabs are visually appealing, but take away from the site. Try adding AJAX tabs, so users aren't forced to go to a new page every time they want to see what "the top movers" or "search leaders". Also, have them hidden by default, and only visible if the user wants them to be.

- Take away some of the "Web 2.0" bookmarking buttons. If the user wants to bookmark your site, they'll do it themselves, not by clicking a button on your website. Only leave 2-3.
    Excelent review, thank you... You have some good suggestions... As for the search box - it is the latest implemented feature and I just try to make it more noticable. I will change font on it for sure. As for AJAX, I think I need some traffic before taking it to the next step.
    I probably will remove bookmarking buttons... Will need to see if they have any affect at all.
    As of the home page, I will probably make another one lately with overview... I am working on new parser right now that will smartly mix it all according to content.
    Very nice review. Thank you.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vaprak View Post
    Clean design. Few things:

-The background color of the Ebay ad you are running on the right doesn't match with your body color, you may want to tweak that.
    -The page should not load to the #1 search leader. Have it open to the most recent searches and let the user figure out what they want to look for from there.
    Hehe, adsense places ebay ads, I can't control that
    As for search leader, it will not load first soon. I am working on another page that would come up first...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest issue I saw with it was it took me a few moments to figure out what exactly your site was. Your url and logo didn't really tell me anything, and all I saw was a big list of Britney Spears videos, which just added to my confusion.

I would change up the landing page to make it a mixture of results, and maybe put some additional text at the top to give a better idea of what your site is.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile My Two Cents

I'm new here and pretty inexperienced with all of this stuff. Anyway, here's what I noticed:

1. Like the prior person who posted, at first I was somewhat confused regarding the purpose of the site. I thought that was just because I'm older than your target demographic. But, maybe not. I think a home page that gives a better idea of the site's purpose is a good idea.

2. It might just be my laptop settings or something but the orange BG seems a bit harsh on the eyes...takes the focus off the content.

3. It may be helpful to have a description on each of the 5 categories somehow. Maybe a small window when you go to click on the category ie. "search leaders" with a quick description of what that means. I fond the description under your faq and about page but personally I would prefer that the distinctions between them be more obvious.

4. I like the layout and the rounded edges of the page.

Anyway, I hope some of that is helpful.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The google ad is overpowering, ads should complement your site

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the functionality of the site.
    The name is priceless, and I'm envious of that.

Now for the obvious- the Adsense units in the right column.
    You could have put some very useful navigation or something there, and you chose those ads instead.

Not that I'm against ads, mind you. I use them, just a little differently.
    My philosophy is simply that on the front, or "home" page, we want our visitors to feel we exist for their benefit, not the other way around.
    When they dig deeper into the site- then the ads start appearing more frequently.

Other than that, I think you have something special in the making.
    Nice work.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the orange background is too bright and is too sharp to be a background

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    I like the functionality of the site.
    The name is priceless, and I'm envious of that.

Now for the obvious- the Adsense units in the right column.
    You could have put some very useful navigation or something there, and you chose those ads instead.

Not that I'm against ads, mind you. I use them, just a little differently.
    My philosophy is simply that on the front, or "home" page, we want our visitors to feel we exist for their benefit, not the other way around.
    When they dig deeper into the site- then the ads start appearing more frequently.

Other than that, I think you have something special in the making.
    Nice work.
    Thank you... I was surprised the name was available when I got it too.
    As for the ads in the right column, this is the only place where I have those. I think it does draw some attention that way while not interfering with user content... It is not right in the content like on many other sites, which, I believe, make it a lot cleaner. As fot something to put there instead of ads, I am not sure if there is anything else that I have.
    Eventually, I plan to change one of the ad column to add top referrers or something like that... However, I just launched the site and barely get any traffic. Not sure if there is anybody who would be interesting in trading spaces yet... I think time will show what will have to be on the side.
    Thank you for good words and suggestions though...