SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Yahoo

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read the tutorial on proper submission to yahoo, but does anyone know if they discourage or penalize if you submit the same site with different urls?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will penalize you big time if they spot it, this is in direct contravention of their policies and they will likely ban or delete your site. A Yahoo listing is too valuable to mess about with, once in leave it alone.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I ahev two domains. One my real domain and then a longer more unattractive domain which includes three of my keywords. What one should I use for Yahoo. The company domain or the "keyword" domain?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by simon c:
    They will penalize you big time if they spot it, this is in direct contravention of their policies and they will likely ban or delete your site. A Yahoo listing is too valuable to mess about with, once in leave it alone.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I think that you should submit your shorter company domain to Yahoo. In my experience domains get listed quicker than longer addresses.

Fletch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to decide which domain you are going to promote through the search engines as a whole as directory listings help to create some stability for search engine positions, they help with link relevance and give other engines an indication that the site is of value.

The keyword domain is best as it can influence the results in places like ODP if the keyword is in the url. Keep the company domian for banners and real world advertising as the shorter url may be more memorable.

------------------
    Simon Conroy, Acorn Internet Search Engine Placement
    http://www.topwebsite.co.uk/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks simon c you have been a great help. Not to keep this exhuast message, but will Yahoo frown on longer domain names. I know it would be a better name for search engines purposes, but it is just so obvious that that is the reason for the name (www.cellular-cellphone-accessory.com) as opposed to (www.cellphoneneeds.com). I know there is no true answer, but your opinion is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by simon c:
    You need to decide which domain you are going to promote through the search engines as a whole as directory listings help to create some stability for search engine positions, they help with link relevance and give other engines an indication that the site is of value.

The keyword domain is best as it can influence the results in places like ODP if the keyword is in the url. Keep the company domian for banners and real world advertising as the shorter url may be more memorable.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some important issues in domain names and keyword strategy when it comes to yahoo and odp. First Yahoo performs string search while odp does word search. What string search means is that the domain submittingyoururl.com gives matches for the keyword "submit", "Submitting", "url", ect. For yahoo keyword in domain name is vital in popular searches/categories. Second in domain names is that in most cases you need to have the domain name to fallow you title and that will influence the alphabetical ordering of those directories.

In general you should treat the two big directories with respect and if they suggest something to you, take as a rule from god and fallow it to the letter. Not kidding. A good position in yahoo will give you more than all your other SE traffic and you only need to submitt once. So make sure that for this one time, you do it right.

jonpall http://www.webpromotionadvice.com/