SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disable Cleartype in code?

Is it possible to disable IE 7's cleartype (which makes text anti-alias)... either by CSS or JS?

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you cannot control a users browser.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If your visitors like cleartype on they will have it on, if they like it off they will have it off. Who do you think you are to be telling them they made the wrong choice about what they like.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    If your visitors like cleartype on they will have it on, if they like it off they will have it off. Who do you think you are to be telling them they made the wrong choice about what they like.
    I think I am the designer who should have the choice to display text on my web page however I damn well please!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    and all your visitors trump you with their right to display pages in THEIR browser however they please and you have no say about it if they want to change it. That is how the web works. The visitor's choices rule.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Completely agree with Stephen, even with CSS you are only suggesting to the user how you think it should be displayed. If they choose to use clear type, a different font, different font-size or even a completely customised stylesheet then it's tough.

If you start putting things in place to restrict a user from displaying content how they want to etc then you're in serious danger of negatively impacting the accessibility of your site.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You act as though cleartype is an "option"... 99&#37; of a users don't even know what cleartype is, and it's enabled by default... They don't even know what it is, let alone know how to turn it off...

And.. visitors do not trump how I want my design to be displayed. It's like telling a movie director that he has to have his film in color, when he wants it in black and white to portray a certain image.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So? How do you know they want it off? Maybe you do so then turn it off. You have no right to say what they want nor can you be the judge of it.

Also anyone who uses percents and the magic number 99&#37; is just talking BS now. Do research find the real percent instead of making it up.

The web is not a movie, it is not print, it is completely different then any media out there. The web is alive and full of different views on every single computer. No two will see the site the same.

In any case there is nothing you can do, controlling the browser is out of your reach just as it should be.

Off Topic:

I have clear type on and I WANT it on.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn! I thought you would all believe that 99&#37; was the actual figure. I'm not going to do research on it, because quite frankly I don't care. I think it's funny though how hypocritical some "designers" are. I'd like to see one person in who loved how IE 6 didn't render transparent PNGs. Now how many of them went ahead and used the ol' JS PNG "Hack"... Based on what you guys are saying, if the browser doesn't render transparent PNGs, then you shouldn't try and mess with it.

The bottom line is that if we want to talk about standards, then cleartype is a "clear" sideways step from building a standard and I personally like to have my pages align with a set standard, weather for good or bad, which is why I despise cleartype. Maybe I'll just redirect IE 7 users to Firefox, after all it's my site and I can do what I want! (or at least should be)

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WHY would you want to turn it off? When I choose to enable it, the text display improved a great deal. Why do you wish to degrade the display?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gexus View Post
    Damn! I thought you would all believe that 99% was the actual figure. I'm not going to do research on it, because quite frankly I don't care. I think it's funny though how hypocritical some "designers" are. I'd like to see one person in who loved how IE 6 didn't render transparent PNGs. Now how many of them went ahead and used the ol' JS PNG "Hack"... Based on what you guys are saying, if the browser doesn't render transparent PNGs, then you shouldn't try and mess with it.
    That is not the same thing as trying to override a users choice. IE6 didn't support PNG Alpha channels there was no option to enable or disable it. So this has not connection with your desire to turn off clear type which is an option. Completely different things.

IE6 rendered transparent PNGs it just does not support the alpha channels.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ergh, Windows text rendering is horrible anyway. But I agree, at-least Cleartype makes it bearable. PRINT FTW!!

Oh, and to actually answer your question -- no there isn't a way to turn it off, it's a part of the OS.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The web page is divided into three parts and depending on which part you are considering the author has different levels of control.

content - author has final say, visitor gets the content that the author wrote and can't change it (apart from disabling objects and/or images in that content).

appearance - author suggests appearance, visitor can override any/all of those suggestions with their own.

behaviour - author suggests behaviour, visitor can disable some/all of those behaviours as well as add some of their own.

Modern browsers are set by default to disable certain obnoxious appearance and behaviour settings that some web page authors use and so even if visitors don't know how to change their browser settings those particular parts of the page are effectively ignored. Those who do know how to change the settings have as much control over everything except the text content as they want and the author will not even know that they have done anything.

For things outside the web page itself such as browser settings and operating system settings such as cleartype the visitor has full control and with very few exceptions is not even able to change settings to grant permission to a web page author to gain access to anything beyond their page.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gexus View Post
    I think I am the designer who should have the choice to display text on my web page however I damn well please!

Seriously - don't take this the wrong way but you really need to think about moving into print design where you can have 100&#37; control over the end product.

With web design you are going to spend your time smacking your head against a brick wall because you really don't have very much control over how the page is viewed - it's the nature of the web.

You can certainly try to tell people what browser to use (don't think it works though, just irritates people) although there's nothing to guarantee that even if they use Firefox they won't have ClearType switched on in the control panel. Plus there's the mac users - if I remember rightly (and I could be wrong) they have font smoothing switched on by default too.

(oh and I too dislike cleartype - I find it hard to read, very blurry)
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailslide View Post
    ...Plus there's the mac users - if I remember rightly (and I could be wrong) they have font smoothing switched on by default too...
    On the Mac even if you wanted too, you cannot turn font smoothing off.

Cleartype = win on a high screen size LCD

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Font smoothing on the Mac is beautiful though! Granted, not quite print, but it's certainly much better than other digital renderers.

Anyway, let's not turn this into an OS debate! If you really want to go nuts, then use Flash or something, because we all know how much of an accessibility god that thing is 8-)

For the moment, looks like you'll have to leave it.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailslide View Post

Seriously - don't take this the wrong way but you really need to think about moving into print design where you can have 100% control over the end product.

With web design you are going to spend your time smacking your head against a brick wall because you really don't have very much control over how the page is viewed - it's the nature of the web.

You can certainly try to tell people what browser to use (don't think it works though, just irritates people) although there's nothing to guarantee that even if they use Firefox they won't have ClearType switched on in the control panel. Plus there's the mac users - if I remember rightly (and I could be wrong) they have font smoothing switched on by default too.

(oh and I too dislike cleartype - I find it hard to read, very blurry)

Print design? No, I'm not an illustrator... and I've been doing web design for over 8 years. And of course you have control. I do cross-browser/resolution testing on all mark up... The only thing some people will see different is if JS is disabled (in which case I don't really care about them... the few senior's that don't use JS because of "privacy" concerns, won't make or break anything)... other than that... all my mark up with render the same or "close-enough" in any browser/resolution (800x600+) you throw at em.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you missed the point. A user can change the font-size whilst some browsers allow the user to specify their own stylesheet so could change the look completely.

Yes, you can make the site look the same for IE6, IE7, Firefox, Opera, Safari and even earlier IE5.x versions but you can't guarantee that it will always appear as you have specified.

Also consider handheld devices, images disabled, styles disabled, text only browsers and you may start to agree that whilst in most cases the site will appear as planned, it won't always be guaranteed so these things should also be considered.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Control is an illusion...
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Yes you can!
    Under Internet Explorer the trick is to use the filter:Alpha(); propriety in CSS.
    For example:
    HTML Code:
    <div style="filter:Alpha(opacity=100);">
    My text with no ClearType.
    </div>
    Bye

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last post in this thread before was in 2007..please look before posting.
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09
    http://www.ryanreese.us -Always looking for web design/development work