SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love Rails, hate the environment

Anyone else get really, really frustrated with Rails sometimes?

Don't get me wrong- love the simplicity and streamlined aspects of Ruby. Love the thought-out parts of the Rails framework. It makes development a breeze for the types of projects and sites that I get involved with. Love it, love it, love it.

But I hate the environment. The coding development isn't as bad for me since Locomotive + MAMP tend to cover everything I really need on OS X (and a quick Subversion install isn't too bad), but I've had problems in small groups getting others up to speed. There's been two times during my classwork at school where I'm getting 3-4 others on the same page, some on OS X, some on Windows, and trying to get all the pieces together can get a little irritating. InstantRails and Locomotive go a long way, but it's a bit of an irritation.

And it definitely pales in comparison to getting the server development set up. This is what's really been driving me nuts lately. If you're setting up the whole Rails stack yourself, it's just not yet there it seems. Part of the problem stems from a benefit to using Rails- it "forces" you to use good conventions and standards, so the common stack has Subversion in it, and having better management of deployment usually involves Capistrano. Both are great to have, but both definitely involve more things to install and set up. So you end up doing Ruby/Rails/Web Server (no "standard" Rails server here yet... Apache, nginx, Lighttpd, etc.)/Mongrel/Subversion/Capistrano/Database. deprec used to be a huge help here, but it's definitely having some issues with the quick development pace of Capistrano and Rails.

I've read about some new ideas being tossed around about building an open source Rails stack (anyone try RubyWorks?), but there still isn't quite the "standard" there yet for Rails, and it's fairly aggravating. Ideally it'd be great if you could go a la PHP and just upload your files to Apache and send it off, but on the other hand Rails is still in the early days of its youth. Perhaps it's a bit too premature to expect such a polished deployment "standard" at this point.

What are all of your experiences with this? Do you go the easy shared hosting route that might match up with what you want, go the VPS route and struggle (or not struggle) through the setup of your own Rails stack, or do you just say "the hell with it" and shoot your app to someone like Engine Yard to handle it all?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've taken to using a VPS. I used to have shared hosting but I never got much stability out of it (I still have a shared hosting account, but it's mostly an email/file dump now). I was able to set everything up (Litespeed, Mysql, rails, PHP) in the better part of an hour, but I could easily see it taking much longer for someone who doesn't know system administration or the command line too well.

One thing that helps is having similar deployment targets. If all your servers vary, even in little bits, every deployment is idiosyncratic. It's far better to have a standard "image" and install that if at all possible, then deploy your Rails apps. If it's the same environment on multiple servers you can script your own deployments and they should work the same every time.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using litespeed which seems to be working well and is pretty straightforward to get running.
    Mongolia Overland - The Greatest Adventure on Earth