User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creating the Standard Directory Structure

Hello,

Following through the Ruby on rails book from Sitepoint but got stuck installing it.

Right, it tells me to open up InstantRails > Rails Applications > Open Ruby Console Window.

Done that.

Then it says:

"The rails command takes a single parameter: the directory in which youd like
    to store your application. You can, and are encouraged to, execute it from the
    parent directory in which you want your new Rails application to live. Ill do this
    right in my home directory:"

$ rails shovell
    create
    create app/controllers
    create app/helpers
    create app/models
    create app/views/layouts
    create config/environments
    create components
    create db
    create log/server.log
    create log/production.log
    create log/development.log
    create log/test.log

What do I type in Ruby command then so I can set up my structure as I'm a bit confused as to what to put.

Regards,

Steve

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you need to open the regular console window. Go to start > run > type "cmd".

Now you should see a console window.

Type "cd C:\your\rails\apps", then hit return. This command changes the current directory to C:\your\rails\apps. This is like navigating to this directory, but on the command line. You have to create this directory before cd-ing to it!

Then type "rails shovell", return. This command creates a directory called "shovell" with the rails application structure in it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir2 View Post
    I think you need to open the regular console window. Go to start > run > type "cmd".

Now you should see a console window.

Type "cd C:\your\rails\apps", then hit return. This command changes the current directory to C:\your\rails\apps. This is like navigating to this directory, but on the command line. You have to create this directory before cd-ing to it!

Then type "rails shovell", return. This command creates a directory called "shovell" with the rails application structure in it.
    Hi,

Thanks for you reply, I have done as you have said following point one so that now the current directory is pointing to where I want my rails application to go which is C:\Users\Steve Gibbs\Documents\Shovell.

When I type rails shovell or even $ rails shovell in the command it says:

'rails' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

To me it's not very clear in the book as to what to do.

Help

Steve

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey hey, I've managed to create my directory by using the Rails command instead of the normal command and by using what you said Fenrir2 so I'm up and running now.

Thanks very much for your help

Steve