SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Anime

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Favorite Anime

Anyone else an anime addict? What are your favorite series?

I'll start with one even though I have many... Onegai Sensei:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=WZjJrQACDnk

Although I always watch it in Japanese... the Japanese voice actors have much nicer voices

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Macross, Lupin and Akira!!
    San Diego Freelance Web Development Contractor
    Great Taste, no Filler. Now with no Trans Fat!

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hate Akira to my very last breath

I haven't watched the one your mentioned so I don't know about if the argument is good or not, although for the link you provide the animantion is good.

I think that my favourites from recent times would be FullMetal Alchemist, great animation and great story.

Last Exile has a great story too, and the best 3D-2D integration I've even seen lately.

Samurai7 is very good.

Samurai Shamploo is really funny and well done.

Wolf's Rain is a fantastic story, and the quality of the animation is higher than usual, most of the time, although the first few chapters follow stereotypes too much.

Those are the ones that come on top of my head now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    pokemon

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One Piece
    Eye Shield 21
    Hajime no Ippo
    Hikaru no Go
    REC
    Genshiken
    Nodame Cantabile
    Cowboy Bebop
    Golden Boy
    Hunter X Hunter
    Overdrive
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sadly, I think I've only ever seen Akira. I thought it was pretty good, and liked the style of anime, but never found the time to go hunting for good ones.

If there is one thing I should see, what would you recommend?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might enjoy this:
    http://www.sonyclassics.com/paprika/

Mainstream enough to have been show in some US theaters (with an R rating), but truly good anime at the same time. The preview speaks for itself as to the style. Kon's movies (and TV series, paranoia agent) always blur the line between what's real and what's not...

Amazon has the DVD on pre-order for next month, but you can find it online if you know where to look. I caught it in an actual theater during the Seattle International Film Festival.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That looks AWESOME! Animation has come some way... I should really try and find these cool flicks.

Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    It certainly looks good. I have to say that I also like Studio Ghibli's movies. My favourite from them is Howl's Moving Castle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've watched a few things. the one i've been trying to get my hands on to watch is "Princess Mononoke"...

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TOTORO !!

Quote Originally Posted by molona
    Hate Akira to my very last breath
    bah, you suck.

I LOVED the animation in Akira, even if the style of art was a little freaky looking.

I hate Ghost in a Shell. Fantastic artwork... almost lifelike!!... But oh my god what a boring story... My friends tried to make me watch it twice and both times I've fallen asleep.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona
    I have to say that I also like Studio Ghibli's movies.

(see my above post... hahaha)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    I hate Ghost in a Shell. Fantastic artwork... almost lifelike!!... But oh my god what a boring story... My friends tried to make me watch it twice and both times I've fallen asleep.
    The movie or the TV series? I didn't like the first two movies, while I loved the two TV series.

My favorite song of all time is the intro to the first season of GiTS: Standalone Complex. It's about 3 times longer than the clip used in the opening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9uX6nt4g78

Off Topic:

To anyone new to the series, the opening to the series is CGI rendered while the actual show is not. Watch the first episode, YouTube probably has it, see if you like it. It's an excellent show. You can buy the series on DVD at major retailers including Best Buy (anime section) or Circuit City (usually it's in the scifi or 'special interest' sections). Make sure it's "Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex" and not just "Ghost in the Shell" (a movie) or "Ghost in the Shell: 2nd GiG" (second season of the show).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, this is most of my collection, I've got opinions on 'em all if anyone's interested in watching some anime and wants to know what to start with.

Veoh is a great place to start these days. A lot of people upload anime there, so you can get a taste for a series before buying it or downloading the entire thing elsewhere.

I've also got lots on DVDs including Wolf's Rain, Chobits, Gilgamesh, Najica Blitz Tactics, Utena, Origin: Spirits of the Past, Excel Saga, Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (Rumbling Hearts), Onegai Twins... probably forgetting some

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dude, where is Full Metal Panic - Fumofuu? Thats the best of all of them. Hilarious.

After seeing your list, i'll add a couple more.

Great Teacher Onizuka
    Jungle wa hale nochi guu
    Last Exile

Nice to see another Genshiken fan. That show has a strange appeal. Though, slice of life anime are becoming more popular. Especially, Honey and Clover, but I couldn't get into it.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fomoffu and Last Exile are in there Last Exile has a really nice animation style... good mix of drawn and rendered.. and interesting music to go with a good story.

If you liked Genshiken, you might like Comic Party, same genre. Genshiken was better. I'll have to check out that Onizuka series, haven't seen it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved "Millenium Actress" too.

There was also this really psychotic one called "Perfect Blue" that had a crazy twist at the end.

Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    bah, you suck.

I LOVED the animation in Akira, even if the style of art was a little freaky looking.

It must be the knife between your teeth that makes you say that, I am sure...

No, sorry, I didn't manage to like Akira, I did like Ghost in the Shell (the movie) because the story was good and the animation was excellent. Still, I wouldn't count it among my favourites because the action could have been handled so much better. There were moments that I thought it was a bit slow.

@Dan, I am not a fan of martial arts anime because, well, they tend to have too much fighting and little argument. Tenjho Tenge is an exception, and I see it in your list :-). It also could have been better if the story was better told and finished, IMO.

There are quite a few in your list I haven't watched, so I will have to take notes of those and see some of those.

I did watch two episodes from Excel Saga and from Golden Boy. Excel Saga was simply too silly for my taste (although I don't know if the series improve later on) and Golden Boy, well, it is too much for boys for my taste

Another good one, that I found very amusing, is Saber Marionette J and Saber Marionette J to X, and more recently, Saiyuki (really funny and the story is quite good, too)

I've also heard about Black Cat, and Speed Grapher, but I haven't had the chance to watch them, so I do not know if they are any good.

Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I loved "Millenium Actress" too.

There was also this really psychotic one called "Perfect Blue" that had a crazy twist at the end.
    I heard that Millenium Actress was really good. There are also very good comments about "Paranoia Agent", but after watching the first two episodes I found it to be extremely "paranoic". I have to say that it is really disturbing.

On the other hand, GetBackers is really entertaining... shame that there are few episodes a bit silly, and one of the main characters is a bit too silly too... With a bit of care, it could had been great. But it does leave you with a smile after the episode, so it is a good watch and it's always entertaining.

Another very positive series and nice to watch was Dai-Guard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shaun gets off on the weird cool stuff... (crystal ball, I sees into it)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    So, this is most of my collection, I've got opinions on 'em all if anyone's interested in watching some anime and wants to know what to start with.

Veoh is a great place to start these days. A lot of people upload anime there, so you can get a taste for a series before buying it or downloading the entire thing elsewhere.

I've also got lots on DVDs including Wolf's Rain, Chobits, Gilgamesh, Najica Blitz Tactics, Utena, Origin: Spirits of the Past, Excel Saga, Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (Rumbling Hearts), Onegai Twins... probably forgetting some
    WOW, some collection man. I like Chobits and Gilamesh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Millennium Actress, Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika and Paranoia Agent are all Satoshi Kon's works. If you liked 2 of them so far you say, you'll probably like the rest. They are all different stories but the same genre....distorted reality and such.

In Paprika, at the very end of the movie, one of the main characters goes to a movie theater. On the billboards above the ticket booth there are posters for Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers and Perfect Blue

My preference is to series with good character development. I like to really get to know the character and become attached while the story runs its course. That's why Onegai Sensei, Mai Hime and Rorouni Kenshin (Samurai X in the US) are among my favorites.

I watch Bleach every Wednesday after it airs in Japan. I've become a fan even though it's a very drawn out series. Up to episode 144, all of which I've watched 3 times now.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    Tokyo Godfathers
    I've wanted to see this one for forever too.

Was never able to track it down here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've wanted to see this one for forever too.

Was never able to track it down here.

Someone uploaded the entire movie to Veoh yesterday. You have to be logged in to view it because it's rated 18+ there.
    http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1262620f...4284948&rank=1

You'll find a high quality DVD rip on several of the major torrent sites. Unfortunately learning to find and download over BitTorrent is a necessity for enjoying Japanese TV and movies. A lot are completely inaccessible through legal channels, only being licensed in the US years later if ever.

A lot of animation studios which hold the copyrights to their series are very liberal with how they deal with copies outside Japan. Some actively encourage the groups that subtitle and release for viewers around the world. There are fansub groups that have "gone pro" and been hired to produce the official DVDs for the US. The unwritten rule is to share and enjoy the fansubs until the series is officially licensed in your region for distribution, then to stop sharing and buy the official version.

This is in part why video sharing sites have so much anime. The studios aren't asking for them to be taken down. So different from how U.S. media producers view sharing on the internet... as theft instead of free promotion.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic
    Shaun gets off on the weird cool stuff... (crystal ball, I sees into it)