SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Hackers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hackers

My website was hacked a few days ago, due to my webhost basically being crappy in their security. However, one of my members found this through their source code of the page they put up: http://members.lycos.co.uk/moadis/

I was wondering if I should persue this and if this page could help me to do so?

This kind of thing is new to me so any help about the right action would be appreciated

Cheers!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting...

Those are indeed hacker tools. I would say if you think it is worth your time, and you can track down the actual person that did this, you should pursue it. I'm not sure about UK laws, but in the US I'm pretty sure you can sue if damages were done.

It's pretty evident that they are an active hacker, so even if you can't sue, you can probably get some kind of legal action against them to at least try to get them to stop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, although I wouldn't know where to start with something like that. Any ideas?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that is a good question actually that I'm not 100% sure of the answer. First, I would probably contact Lycos and inform them about the problem. They will probably handle it.

If you want to press prosecution yourself, I recommend contacting your local authorities first, and then work your way up the chain of command with their help until you find the correct person to report it to. That is if you can track them down. Lycos can provide you with they IP they log in with (or should be able to), which can help you narrow down your search, but chances are they used bad info, so your chances are low that you can get them 100%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks for the tips

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It always sucks when you get hacked like that. Most of the time Not a lot you can do about it. At the best you can get their lycos account banned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you SURE it was your host's lax security that allowed this attack? If you're not, then I would really recommend getting a security audit of your source code. Some aspects of PHP make it easy for new programmers to introduce serious security holes in their systems. Unless you KNOW for SURE it's your hosts' problem, you need to make sure the problem is not with your own code. If you use free scripts, go back to the websites and check for updates and security bulletins. This is something you need to be proactive about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah it definately was the host as they emailed me explaining that all websites on host number ** suffered similar incidents due to their security holes which are now fixed. And my programmer doesn't use free scripts but writes everything by hand.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't recommend doing too much to draw attention to yourself by trying to do something to the hackers. Just try to find out how you can prevent this from happening again. Do what you want, but this is what I would do in most cases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, it would be hard to prosecute the person unless there was some type of monetary damage. Without monetary damage, pursuing the individual would be costly in court and the less monetary damage, the more likely they would get just a slap on the wrist.

"Crackers" (which are malicious hackers) generally hide their information so if there is any contact information on the site it's probably false.

The best thing you can do is contact lycos and attempt to patch whatever security flaw caused it.

Tia Wood

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys