Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all...

Question on submitting sites to search engines:
    I've read in various places that some spiders read the content of a site and use it to help place the site and match keywords, etc. My question is this:

I am using an "onMouseover" to generate the content of my main page. Right now I am using image files with the information. If I changed this to text that would pop up instead of an image (say put it into a particular cell within a table), would the spiders be able to read that?

I know my site needs to match keywords with body text, and I'm not trying to "trick" the search engines... I just want to keep the basic look of my site, but get the page ranked a bit higher in the engines.

I have downloaded and am going to try Web Position Gold to see how it works for submissions.

My boss has asked that I look into various businesses that will do search engine submissions and guarantee some form of ranking (he won't listen to me sometimes). Any suggestions on these?

Thanks!
    Hatton Humphrey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ranking on the search engines is all to do with combining the right words in the right places with the right keyword densities to match the calculations used by the search engines.

Engine spiders can't read images so text is better, try to make the main words prominant in the text on the page by using them in h1 headers and link anchors. The design of the page should be constructed around these tachniques but it's often a compromise between design and ranking.

Simon c
    www.topwebsite.co.uk

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had pretty good success in S.E. rankings but I can't seem to keep the ranking. What's the secret? Do I need to resubmit the site every 2...3...4 weeks? I utilize robot.txt ie: revisit after 30 days but this doesn't seem to help much.

------------------
    M. Koch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having external links pointing to your site helps it stick. if an engine sees that other similar sites value yours by giving it a link then it is given more stability. Aim for a Yahoo or ODP listing. Directories are very valuable in providing some stability to search engine placements.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search engines must have clean content and well constructed meta tags. There's no such as thing as "guaranteed" rank unless one relies on tricks that engines are banning sites for using, such as cloaking and doorways. Javascript, in fact any script, CSS, dynamic code, and frames, all frustrate and hinder engine indexing and in some cases, make it impossible.

The answers to everyone's questions are here
    at http://www.cre8pc.com

There's a club and forum, and manual submission expert help. Automatic submission is high risk - do your research!

Cre8pc Website Promotion
    Since 1996