SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Just launched: ZoooV.com. How do you like the video?

Looking for feedback about the layout, the usability, and the video.

http://www.ZoooV.com

ZoooV is a social news site for micro-communities. It's like **** + Forums for niche subjects that don't get covered well on the big social news sites. How d you like the concept?
    I've made every mistake and suffered every pain.
    So you don't have to.
    Stuck with JS or AJAX issue? Ask me here.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Concept is good and the looks ood too. Well done.

SitePoint Enthusiast Paintingblack's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first glances upon this site, to me it looked like another generic video site. My eyes were drawn more to the video than the actual content itself, which takes away from the overall appeal of the website. Most people don't need another YouTube, or Metacafe, so they'll most likely leave the website right away.

On a closer inspection, you have a pretty solid concept here. I like the idea of communities for different stories, but with websites like D**g, you'll have a tough time competing without a well-done redesign.

What could use improvement:
    - The logo shouldn't be in a box. It should flow more with the design.
    - Although this isn't major, the domain is hard to remember. I'd remember it as ZooV, not ZoooV
    - The tab on the top should be separated into two tabs, instead of them being separated by a "|", as well as the text in the tabs should be pushed down (Use margins). Also, add rollover effects to your links.
    - Your website is not valid. Change your website to XHTML, and fix all of your errors
    - Your markup is cluttered and confusing. You can remove alot of elements, and tables shouldn't be holding your website together.
    - Some of the gradients are too strong for the page. Turn the opacity down a bit.

Even with all of that, you have a very solid website, and a good thing going for you. If you fix those problems, or even get a full professional redesign, you'll probably do alot better.

- Nathan
    PaintingBlack.com - Quality Articles and Web Design

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Nathan. Very good comments. I'll change the design accordingly.

Some of the gradients are too strong for the page. Turn the opacity down a bit.
    Which gradients are too strong? Are you referring to the top of the page?
    So you don't have to.

SitePoint Enthusiast Paintingblack's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The header gradient is a little too strong, but turning it down 5% will probably do the trick. Either that or change the bottom of the gradient darker.

The second gradient with the "Watch the Video" is also too strong, but I'd even suggest changing the color to a pale yellow (if it works), or getting rid of it all together.
    PaintingBlack.com - Quality Articles and Web Design

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched the movie and I like our idea. I think the logo needs to integrate more with the layout. The name will confuse a lot of people because of the 3 o's instead of 2. I really like the idea behind it but I think the main functionality already has a couple of large players although you are mainly trying to improve on speed. I would rather have more functionality in the long run over speed though.
    MediaMingle.com Finally, what image search should be!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I know the 3 Os are a bit confusing, but it's hard to find a good name without paying an arm and a leg. I didn't wan to go with a two word domain name. But, I tried to design the logo in a way that makes it clear that it's 3 Os. Hopefully that reduces the confusion a bit.
    So you don't have to.