SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review: HelpingWebmasters.com

Please review: http://www.HelpingWebmasters.com

It’s a webmaster forum that was originally the T35 Hosting Support & Development forum. It used to be very active a few years ago, but has died off recently. So we decided to spin it off into its own site and make it open to the public. Not too many of our moderators are posting on there yet but that’s mostly because we haven’t had too many users post. I need some feedback in terms of design, usability, what functions/features to add, and more importantly how to jump start the forum again.

Thanks!
    T35.com Web Hosting «» Free Web Hosting & Free Image Hosting
    » Providing Quality Web Hosting Since 1997 | AIM: T35Management

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it. As for a fourm, it is very direct, and doesn't have some of the extraneous features that others have (which I personally enjoy). As far as traffic - just good old SEO. Directory submissions, link exchange, etc. etc.

SitePoint Enthusiast arthurakay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you may have too many forums listed... can you combine any of them? That's one reason people may not be posting.

The colors look very bland, and the page could use some images. How about a colorful head banner?

Also... I clicked into the "General Discussion" board, and the posts go on and on for what seems like forever. Can you limit the number of posts per page?

I also don't like the fact that I can't search if I'm not a registered user. I would change that if you can.

Overall a good concept, but you need some graphic design help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Irish.ness ... Thanks for the feedback! We have never gotten any traffic from google or anything since it used to be a T35 Specific forum... Now that it's on its own domain i don't think i can place in any of the keywords for a WHILE.. Anything else you think I can do?

arthurakay ... as a support board the idea was to have it very clean/easy to use. That's why it might come off a little bland. A logo is definitely in the works though and that can help things. As far as search for guests, who important do you think that is? I disabled that because search was abused in the past (SQL injections/PHP abuse). I like the idea of limit the topics per page. I'm sure there is a limit now, but i agree.. it's probably set too high.

Any ideas on how i can promote it more? We just added a contest for members with posts/referrers to win prizes every month, but im not sure if that's enough...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice clean forum. I think the header needs reworked a little make it "pop" and grab your visitors attention

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amelen, nice forum. So, you are going to compete sitepoint, eh ! lol ...

well, for promoting, it's going to be tough, but you can go for the same old techniques of promoting. The best way of promoting could be to develop a small piece of free software, and give support from this forum.

Else, you might try posting tutorials and articles, and link those to your forum so that users can discuss on that in your forum.

There's no shortcut, and making a forum popular is a big challenge no doubt (fortunately) ... but if you can give quality content (as I said above), people will surely come. As always, content is the king.

Me, I came to sitepoint after purchasing Kevin Yank's php book, for example. So think about things what this forum will support. Tutorials, softwares, etc.

best of luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    minnseoelite... yup.. the header is in the works... thanks!

kigoobe... LOL! We'll i have a slightly different niche then sitepoint.. It's a webmaster & support forum.. we have a staff that does support for our customers so we will also be trying to provide that support to everyone else. but yeah..

thanks for the other advice! a lot of good points!