SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question PHP/MySQL for a personals website?

I am new to php and mysql but my hosting plan does include mysql access. I've downloaded the software as well...did I need to do that? What I'd like to do is add personals to my existing website. My host also includes ht access, which is for userpasswords? I'd like registered users to be able to edit their own "profiles" as well as upload images. All this information will be accessible via a search type interface, I'd also love to be able to include email adresses for registered users...is that possible? I have purchased the book Building Database Driven Websites...but haven't received it yet. Just looking for a starting point! Anybody?

Thanks,
    John Alarcon

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uh...mysql is kinda important for a personals site. that or something to do with data storage. I'd use cgi, but after a while, it gets kinda messy, trying to get the chmods right and stuff
    InQuE

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah...Check out skunks php/mysql listing.

http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=18699

And to learn htaccess which is always helpful anyways here is a great tutorial

http://www.wsabstract.com/howto/htaccess.shtml
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going to test your coding off of your hosting account then it wasn't necessary to download all of the software; however if you're going to test off of your system (so you don't have to upload to your host) then that's fine as well -- I've used both methods.

If you haven't done so, I would read the Melonfire PHP 101 series of PHP tutorials to get a good base. Those tutorials as well as numerous others can be found here:

http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/PHP/

As for buying Kevin's book, I think you've made a good decision. I own the book as well and I find it very useful -- not only for the wonderful tutorial that walks you through so much of working with PHP and MySQL, but the documentation at the back is very useful as well.

Doing those two things should get the ball rolling and allow you to do exactly what you want. And in the case you need any help, there's always these forums! Good luck, and I'll see you around.

-Colin
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.