SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Difference between Myspace and a Blog with wordpress

Hi, I have a client who has a MySpace account with a big amount of poems and lots of videos/audio. He wants to have a website since he does not have enough clicks on his page and thinks he cannot offer the package that he think he needs to offer. I suggested to him to have a blog with wordpress or something similar as having a website only, without any SEO won't get him any more clicks. And with wordpress he will have an integrated cms and also lots of different customisations. However he is insisting that he cannot see the difference. Also for the money he is ready to pay a blog is more worth it for me to do. Can anyone tell me what is best to use and what should I tell him to convince him with the right choice?

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

blog site

If he doesn't want a "looks like a blog" site, explain how WordPress can be used as a CMS for pages.
    Maybe say something like "It would be job security for me if I wrote a custom site for you. As technology changes code revisions are needed. But with Wordpress you can find more than enough themes and plugins from more than enough people. And will be able to for the foreseeable future."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And how would I explain it to him that with a simple website he will not get more clicks than he is getting on his myspace account.

Also from what I have said he needs and the amount of content/videos he has, using Wordpress would be appropriate, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the type of site your client wants, WordPress is a very good option.

As for the first question... That's always a difficult one to answer. Umm.. You could tell him that moving to a static webpage would be "downgrading to Web 1.0"

People use MySpace for the interaction. A plain site will remove that option (or cost big bucks to code in by hand). WordPress retains the interaction that users like--the interaction that keeps them coming back--but gets rid of the ads, the annoyance, and the limitations imposed by MySpace.
    M Blaze Miskulin
    President
    Geek Niche Web Hosting

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And what is more appropriate marketing for him to get people to come to his blog/website?
    Cause I think wordpress is more google friendly than a static website is and also it would cost him lots of money to do proper SEO for a static website

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

seo

You would have a difficult time convincing me with stats. IMHO it's more about conformance to various permutations of "standards" than it is to static pages vs. blog.
    It seems like he wants a static site for something dynamic.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you explain better what you mean?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

other speak

I've seen blogs that were terrible and static sites that were good. It may be easier to mess up one over the other, but it's never impossible.
    To me, it's not so much the "medium" that is used, but how.
    Would he rather change pages more than add pages?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he wants to add pages and even in his myspace he cannot have the content by category. But what would you suggest in my case? What to do and use? and how better explain it to this person?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Maybe take a look at his competitor sites? What comes up when different keywords are used? Then think about how much work was, and is, involved.
    Think about cost. Think about the work relationship and where each of you want to be.