SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS advice for this design

Hi all. I have been using CSS to design my sites for 2 years now so I know the basics well. I have never attempted something as complicated as the attached pic though. Can anyone offer advice on the correct approach to this.

My initial thoughts were to have a 2 column design with this picture split as two background images. Now I assume that this is the easy approach but is it the best approach.

I do not want to touch layers if I can help it, I am very comfortable using floats and I would like to stick to that.

I appreciate any adivce.

B
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it depends on how you want to use the two parts of the design.

Do you want to have different text information in the left hand and right hand parts?

If, for example, you want a picture in the right hand part and text info in the left then you may well get away with using the whole picture as a background to a div and then just position a div containing text float left and a div containing the image float right with a position:relative and top: xpx style for each div.

If however you think that you will need both parts separate, to allow for expansion for instance, then the two column approach, with maybe a header or footer for links might be better.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback SRD. That is the plan I had in mind, using different text on both sides. I am just trying to make sure that I am doing this the most efficient way possible.

Is there a better way anyone... I haven't looked into new developments in CSS in awhile. The last time was for adding curves to boxes...

Thanks.