SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist webchalkboard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Openads broken looking for alternatives...

Hi,

We have been using phpAdsNew aka Openads for a few years now and haven't had many problems, however lately it's just not been working right. It often doesn't show any ads at all even though we've directly copied in the invocation code and the banners work fine on our ad server directly.

Maybe it's due to the fact that our ad server is different to our site I'm not sure, but can anyone suggest an alternative to Openads as it's really baking my noodle lol

Thanks,
    Tom
    Websites for Sale - Sell websites in a purpose built marketplace
    Then do some Shopping

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to host it yourself (PHP), to find anything up to the standard of OpenAds you will need to pay. Adpeeps could be an option. If you have other server configs available then take a look at AdvertPro or BanManPro

If you don't mind something remotely hosted then take a look at Adify, RMX-Direct, AdvertServe or any of the options from the networks such as Casale (Optimax), Valueclick (MediaPlex), TF or Burst (AdConductor).

SitePoint Evangelist webchalkboard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the information and links. I think it might have been a setup issue. We've reinstalled and re setup all our campaigns and I think we might have solved the problem. It took all day though, is it just me or is OpenAds really hard to get your head round!?

I think it seriously needs a usability makeover
    Websites for Sale - Sell websites in a purpose built marketplace
    Then do some Shopping

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it does take a good while to get used to. I've been thinking of writing some templates for it and seeing how I go - not really had the time recently though.

- Tim

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish someone would make it easier. It has so many little things that change the outcome, it's just too time consuming. And now it's doing something strange with my high priority campaigns, so I'm gonna spend days tweaking them - again!

Has anyone tried RevSense AdServer? It's $100, but if it works ... it looks good

Amanda

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do NOT use adpeeps. if you buy the software, which is overpriced at $100, and use it for 1 domain name for a year then want to change the domain on the software, they wont let you!! you will have to shell out another $100 for a new code.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I find OpenAds not very Intuitive either.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman35 View Post
    do NOT use adpeeps. if you buy the software, which is overpriced at $100, and use it for 1 domain name for a year then want to change the domain on the software, they wont let you!! you will have to shell out another $100 for a new code.

Ad Peeps is commercial software so you're right Iceman it's not free like OpenAds - and a one-time fee applies.

But as serious business owners understand, making a small investment into your ad software is well worth the $99 Ad Peeps cost.

Compare this to other software....

1 - Customers who purchased Ad Peeps in 2003 are still getting free updates in 2008+ since upgrades are always FREE.

2. OpenAds is clunky and has a big learning curve. Our software runs LIGHT on your webserver, matches most feature-to-feature with Open Ads and calls ads with 1 query.

3. Let's say you have a general question or a problem at 3AM on Christmas day, with Ad Peeps you send us a message and our staff is on-call, working 24/7. We never force you to write to a forum or wait until Normal business hours for help.

4. it's absolutely free to try - we don't even ask your name. Just download and see for yourself.

While we really do feel its unfortunate you have decided to slander us and discourage clients from our company, serious business owners reconize and know the value of Ad Peeps and 2008 we promise it will only get better!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Openads is easy to use. The only problem I find is that the geotarget box is too small, but I fixed it by editing the template and rearranging the countries list to show US, UK, CA and other western European countries first . Also, I have changed their popup code with one the non-blockable popup code .
    Last edited by Animedude; Jan 1, 2008 at 03:11.