Thread: Starting ruby

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting ruby

Hi

I want start ruby language (not only for web) what is the best book for starting ?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, for a start take advantage of Sitepoint's offer of their Rails book in PDF format:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...=1#post3566063

For a more Ruby specific on line resource the original Pickaxe book is a must:

http://whytheluckystiff.net/ruby/pickaxe/

There is a new addition of the book which is well worth getting, but the on-line version is good to get you started.

However, if you ask me to recommend just one book on Ruby it would be "The Ruby Way" by Hal Fulton:

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/03/01/ruby_way/
    Last edited by ReggieB; Oct 2, 2007 at 06:02. Reason: Spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never read the Sitepoint book, but I have read the Programming Ruby "PickAxe" 2nd edition.

The PickAxe book is very good. If you will be doing Rails, I can also highly recommend "Agile Web Development with Ruby on Rails". I would say those 2 are currently considered the "essential" reading material.

If you are looking for a good intro to the language presented in an unorthodox manner, I would check out Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beginning Ruby on Rails by Steven Holzner.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bakhanbeigi View Post
    Hi

I want start ruby language (not only for web) what is the best book for starting ?
    What is your background in programming? "Programming Ruby (2nd ed.)" is not a beginner's book, and even if you are experienced, I wouldn't recommend it. In my opinion, it's not organized well, and it's not well written, and it's full of errors. You can use the reference section, though, well...as a reference.

I've heard good things about "Beginning Ruby: From Novice to Professional", but I read another book of that series that also got good reviews, and it was terrible.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know some things about C/C++
    And about 4 years PHP

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then you might want to get "Programming Ruby 2nd ed." as a reference book(are there any others?), and try "Beginning Ruby: ..." as your tutorial book. If you find that "Beginning Ruby:.." is not very good, you can switch to the tutorial part of Programming Ruby, which is the first half of the book.
    Last edited by 7stud; Oct 4, 2007 at 04:16.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beginning Ruby from Novice to Professional (Apress), is quite nice, but perhaps to simple in light of your PHP experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7stud View Post
    What is your background in programming? "Programming Ruby (2nd ed.)" is not a beginner's book, and even if you are experienced, I wouldn't recommend it. In my opinion, it's not organized well, and it's not well written, and it's full of errors. You can use the reference section, though, well...as a reference.

I've heard good things about "Beginning Ruby: From Novice to Professional", but I read another book of that series that also got good reviews, and it was terrible.
    Go with the pickaxe second edition if you aren't a total programmer beginner, it is a must and the only true real ruby book outhere (maybe a good sequel could be the ruby way which i haven't read yet).
    I don0t know where in the pickaxe you found such errors???