User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question nuLime.com review request

We have been in business since 2003 and have been on a steady climb upwards. 2006 showed an enormous amount of business and growth for us. Then 2007 hit and things have been going downhill to a degree. Obviously we have made some mistake or missed something critical somewhere and I am hoping that can be determined.

Any input on the site is welcome. Anything you do or don't like and why, I would love to here. Especially if you would consider buying within the first three seconds or if you would drop us like a hot potato. Either way, why?

Most of our customer land on the product pages directly from shopping comparison sites. Our front page is www.nulime.com. All you need to do is view that and click on any product to see what 98% of our visitors see right off the bat.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, my first impressions were I didnt know whether or not to trust the site or not. I believe you have way to many products on the home page to choose from. Clean it up a bit, make it not as busy. You need to have a couple highlighted products, I would suggest breaking it into one product from each category and then making a link to the product and the product category. I think the hacker safe badge seems like your trying to hard to get the users trust. I would suggest having that at the footer as most sites that display 'hackersafe' are positioned at the bottom. Take a look at some other site that are similar and successful and compare them to yours. I think that would be a good starting point! Hopefully this was helpful!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asiewe61 View Post
    First off, my first impressions were I didnt know whether or not to trust the site or not.
    How would we have gotten your trust on the first impression? Please elaborate if you don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by asiewe61 View Post
    I think the hacker safe badge seems like your trying to hard to get the users trust. I would suggest having that at the footer as most sites that display 'hackersafe' are positioned at the bottom.
    Actually, this is exactly the opposite of what market research suggests. The HackerSafe logo on average supposedly increases conversion by 15% more if placed higher up on the page. One problem we have had is even getting users to scroll down to the bottom of the page (which is why that is made visible at the top). JavaScript info gathered client side of viewing habits shows that the vast majority don't scroll more than a quarter of the page, so never make it to our full list of validations at the very bottom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nuLime View Post
    How would we have gotten your trust on the first impression? Please elaborate if you don't mind.
    I am used to shopping online at trusted name brand stores, JC Whitney(automotive), Newegg(software/electronics), Eddie Bauer (clothing) etc. It seems your trying to sell anything and everything in a one stop shop. I am used to shopping online at stores that sell a specific commodity, like I mentioned above. Or if I want to go to a one stop shop, I will go to Amazon.com. Everyone shops different, those are just my trends. IMO if I would have came across your shop, I would have left to try and find the same product at another name brand store, but thats me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the layout. It looks different from any other web site I've seen, especially the fonts. This gives it personality and makes it easy to remember. And the tag line is really nice as well. Overall, very well done. I can't find anything serious to criticize.
    I've made every mistake and suffered every pain.
    So you don't have to.
    Stuck with JS or AJAX issue? Ask me here.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waleedka View Post
    I like the layout. It looks different from any other web site I've seen, especially the fonts. This gives it personality and makes it easy to remember.
    This is what we are going for but there was the fear that the fonts along with the logo would make our site appear to be outside of the United States as we have had some curious pronunciations.

Were the words with that font easy on the eyes?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the layout. I think it has a nice quality about it - however the one criticism I can verbalize is that there seems to be a bit too much information. Not a tremendous amount, because it is relatively well organized, however there just seems to be a bit too much of it- I recommend taking out a column or two, or reducing the number of featured products. I would also put the "product categories" in the top left-hand side. That should be the main navigation, not "top-searched."

Well, there you go! Hope it helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I find that there's just the right amount of stuff on the home page. It didn't make me go GAHHH! So, in short, I like it.

What did strike me was the sheer number of "certified safe" links at the bottom. It strikes me as seeming desperate to prove that it's a safe shopping site. I'd leave maybe one there and link to the others in the FAQ or something.

Now that I look again, I see there's one at the top as well. I'd lose that completely. The last thing you want is that the first thing visitors think about is their online safety. They click the link and are immediately directed to the bottom of the page, bypassing all your content. After that I'm not sitting there thinking, "Whew! That's good news, I'm safe". I'm thinking, "What a hassle, now I have to scroll aaaaalll the way up again".
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
    eternal.co.za - code, thoughts, rants and raves
    f1rivals.net - formula 1 forums, and, hopefully, soon, prediction game

Always have a backup plan! failsafe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggestions for your consideration

Hi nuLime,

You've included some really clever bits in your design such as the name of the company itself and your tagline as well as the In The Limelight subtitle. The shape of the buttons and section box headers is also unique.

IMO, however, there is no clear path for the viewer's eye to travel with so much crammed together at the top of the page. Just as there are stars and bit players in a movie, so also should this be true for a well-designed Web site. The eye should go to the star elements immediately and then, through proper placement, size and coloration, be drawn to the content offered by the bit players. Here are a few suggestions that you may wish to consider:
    • Make the logo a little more dominant by separating it from the other header elements and navigation. In this crowd of elements it is confusing as to what to look at first.
    • Move the hacker sign to the bottom of the page as it competes so heavily with your company's identity that it is, in fact, more visible than the logo.
    • Place the cart information into the green bar to further clean up the header section.
    • Put the bookmark, FF and Google buttons into one of your sidebars and not at the top of your page where they compete with your welcome and featured products and gobble up what little white space there is under the nav section.
    • Give your features more of a starring role by increasing their size and/or giving a larger splash of colour. Simplify their graphic content i.e. instead of using 3 watches, zoom in on only 1 watch and angle it or turn it on its side. Fill the box with the close-up of the image. It is not necessary to use the entire image.
    Just my two cents worth.

Cheers.
    "We're all mad here." Cheshire Cat—Alice in Wonderland, 1865

Graphic Design • Web Development • Writing and Voice Services

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is some good information. We might use it for ours too.