SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review http://www.OfficeGupshup.com

Website Background

http://www.OfficeGupshup.com

The website provides a platform for like-minded people to network, express and share their daily office adventures - be it romance, pranks, politics, confessions, workplace revenge, dressing disasters, embarrassing moments and practically everything that happens around the workplace, whilst maintaining anonymity. The website also provides the employees a unique opportunity and interface to appraise their bosses and pass verdicts on their managers.

Any feedback to make the site more effective and user friendly is welcome. Thanks in advance for taking time out of your busy schedule!!!

I would especially welcome your views on how is your first impression when you land on the home page.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The red text with the orange/yellow menus is hard on the eyes.

A number of the images have incorrect height and width attributes making them look jagged or blurry.

Links to your own site shouldn't open up in a new window.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too much red... it needs another color or a background or something to break it up.
    Ina Recipes -- Browse 314,000+ lunch & dinner recipes!
    Bar Club Directory -- Places to drink, party & dance!
    Drink Bible -- Browse thousands more drink recipes!
    Merrillville Alumni -- Home for Alumni from Merrillville, IN

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You link text colour has bad contrast against normal text - would recommend using a contrasting coliur and underlining all links to help your usability.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better not mention the colour again.

Everything seems a bit small and crammed in, and it difficult to tell the various section apart. The animated gif's are a bit naff too.

In all I think there too much going on, on screen.

Have a look at some of the more successful blogs and websites and try assimilate the good parts of design, and try to get a feel for contemporary graphic design.

SitePoint Evangelist WebMachine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great idea for a website, but you could do a few things to make the site easier to get around in and use:
    - there is a lot of oranginess (is that a word), so the headings tend to blend into the rest of the site - using a contrasting colour, say blue, to set off the different categories would help.
    - the site seems very busy (too much information on the home page. I would stay longer if there was less on the page, maybe with slightly larger font, and links to other pages for more of the content
    - I really wanted to click on the topic headings to find more items, but there were no links. Each heading seemed to lead to only one article. Could you group several articles under a single topic on a separate page?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First impression: I wanted to get out ASAP. It's too much read and orange, just like the others said. Very bright for my taste.

Then, there is also too much text. Who has time to read? It's the impression you give your visitors in the first few seconds. If they have to read, then you lost them. I'd suggest reducing your text to quarter of what you have now. Then, after that, reduce it again to half of what you have left.
    I've made every mistake and suffered every pain.
    So you don't have to.
    Stuck with JS or AJAX issue? Ask me here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a great site; I opened the link from a critic's point of view, looking to review it, but somehow ended up reading the content and laughing out loud.

Great site...
    Business Hosting - 15 GB Hosting / 300 GB Transfer - $7.50/mo
    Dedicated Servers - Virtual, Dedicated, Cpanel from $25/mo

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, its a nice site, and an even better concept.

The red/orange theme does make it hard to read like some of the others mentioned. I would recommend adding a few other colors to the pallette and perhaps toning down of the intensity of the red/orange theme.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, the orange red doesn't bother me as much as the others who have posted. Maybe it's because I have a giant wide-screen LCD and your site fits nicely in the middle with wide white bands on the side. That being said, I do feel that the content headings get lost in they're uniformity. I've found ColorJack is a nice tool for fiddling with your color scheme.

Further, I would add a bottom border to the "tabs" at the top. And a bit of padding to the content headings.

Having a look at the forums, here I find the combination of red, orange and yellow harsh on the eyes. It's just too much. I would definitely consider tweaking the color scheme here, even if you leave the home page alone.

Finally, the tree on the about pages is hideous. Hideous, I tell you. I would lose the tree lines completely and just use nice simple indenting to provide the site map.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
    eternal.co.za - code, thoughts, rants and raves
    f1rivals.net - formula 1 forums, and, hopefully, soon, prediction game

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please pass the aspirin

First, I don't understand the meaning on the term gupshup, there is no way I would be able to remember the URL. Second, the colors made me want to pop a could of aspirin. I couldn't even look at the site for more than 5 seconds. I would say get a site color redesign and a new name. Looks like you ahd some good content but once again my eyes could only handle so long.
    MediaMingle.com Finally, what image search should be!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much to all of you for your precious inputs.

Trust me, even I am looking out to change my site colors, but am kinda out of ideas now. Am thinking of using a combination of blue and green (ofcourse, the logo needs to be changed then, but I am cool with that).

The problem is I am not able to figure out which color needs to go to which element of CSS.

Any kind of leads would be really helpful.

SitePoint Enthusiast Paintingblack's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets go in to more detail than everyone else...

- Your logo is too complicated. Keep it simple, remove the table, the letter people, and make the slogan straight. Simplicity is key.

- The Login and Register Here links are too far up, and hard to notice. Peoples eyes are drawn downwards from the logo for the most case, and you should be emphasizing the "Register Here" link. Remove the "Bookmark Us" link completely, and change the "Register Here" to simply "Register".

- Push the search down.

- Your drop down menus are too complex. Try refining your categories down, to either one static page, with search options, or 3 categories at the most.

- Your "What is OfficeGupshup?" section on your home page is confusing. Don't make the entire thing a list, or the entire thing a link. Add more of a back story, and have helpful links within the story.
    - Get rid of the poll.

- I don't understand the "Gyan Guru" section. Maybe it's just me, but I think it needs an explanation. What is Gyan? Google says "Gyan is the debut album by Australian singer-songwriter Gyan that was released by Warner music in 1989. ..."

- Your About page is VERY confusing. The About page should always be one static page explaining what the website is about, or who it was made by. It should almost never be in tree form.

- Take off the "OGS" in "OGS Username", on your login page. It took me a good while to figure out what you meant, "Username" is better, and to the point. Same with "OGS Activation Key" and "Create my OGS Account".

- The most recent posts on the forums shouldn't be on any page, besides the forums themselves. I personally don't like clicking links to "Celebrity Gossip".

- Add more padding to all of the content headers. ("What is OfficeGupshup?", "Gyan Guru Speaks ...")

- Add more useful images. If you even want a shot at becoming professional, add more sophisticated images, instead of clip-art.

- Remove the Dating section.

- "Appraise Your Boss" and "Post your confession" are badly placed. Remove them completely or find a more fitting space. You don't want to leave a full line of whitespace right before your content.

- Underlines are overrated. Add a different color for rollovers instead.

- Orange and Bright Red are hard colors to pull off, seeing as they need a "tie-in" color, such as a dark grey. For your site, I wouldn't recommend that however, and changing your color scheme could help.
    - Take off "Romance" and "*****ing" from your title.

- Validate your work.

- Your code is very untidy, and I know for a fact most of your tables could be removed in place of div's. Even if you don't like using div's, remove some tables then.

- Rename most of your sub-sections. A lot of them are confusing, or are hard to comprehend.

- Your search should have something set as a default, not "Select...". I personally hate having more than two categories to choose from.

- Focus on less subjects. Stick to what you think is best (in my opinion, boss reviews/complaining).

- Add gradients. Check out Web 2.0 websites to see what I mean. It looks better, and can add more focus to a certain section of your website... In moderation.

- Your favicon doesn't relate to your website at all.

I might have some repeats in there, took awhile to write, and if it doesn't make sense, ask for clarification.

- Nathan
    PaintingBlack.com - Quality Articles and Web Design

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nathan, I cannot thank you enough for the time that you have spent in reviewing the website. I really appreciate it!

I will start working on the inputs provided by you. I have a couple of clarifications though:

- Push the search down.
    **OGS** Do you mean to say, I should get it below the menu or just above the menu

- Your drop down menus are too complex. Try refining your categories down, to either one static page, with search options, or 3 categories at the most.
    **OGS** Do you think I should put a link for Advanced search instead and use this detailed criteria over there? On the main page, I can put a simple search text box with "search" button. What say?

- Your "What is OfficeGupshup?" section on your home page is confusing. Don't make the entire thing a list, or the entire thing a link. Add more of a back story, and have helpful links within the story.
    **OGS** Can you give some example here.

- Get rid of the poll.
    **OGS** Any specific reason.

- Take off the "OGS" in "OGS Username", on your login page.
    **OGS** I wanted people to remember OGS as a short form for Office Gup Shup. Can you suggest any better way in which I can make people feel what it stands for or you feel it is not necessary at all?

- Add more useful images. If you even want a shot at becoming professional, add more sophisticated images, instead of clip-art.
    **OGS** What kind of sophisticated images. Do you have any examples or sample websites off the top of your head. Would really help me in visualizing what I should do on the site

- Orange and Bright Red are hard colors to pull off, seeing as they need a "tie-in" color
    **OGS** I am desperately looking for a cool color combination for the site. Do you think shades of green and cool blue would go well. Any other suggestions based on the content on my site

- Validate your work.
    I reduced a lot of validation errors yesterday. Am left with a handful now, will resolve them soon.

- Rename most of your sub-sections. A lot of them are confusing, or are hard to comprehend.
    **OGS** Which sub-sections are you talking about. Can you please elaborate with the names of the sub-sections

- Add gradients. Check out Web 2.0 websites to see what I mean. It looks better, and can add more focus to a certain section of your website... In moderation.
    **OGS** Are you talking about color gradients. What did you mean by "In moderation".

Thanks again for your time!

SitePoint Enthusiast Paintingblack's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by officegupshup View Post
    Nathan, I cannot thank you enough for the time that you have spent in reviewing the website. I really appreciate it!

I will start working on the inputs provided by you. I have a couple of clarifications though:

- Push the search down.
    **OGS** Do you mean to say, I should get it below the menu or just above the menu

**OGS** Do you think I should put a link for Advanced search instead and use this detailed criteria over there? On the main page, I can put a simple search text box with "search" button. What say?

**OGS** Can you give some example here.

- Get rid of the poll.
    **OGS** Any specific reason.

- Take off the "OGS" in "OGS Username", on your login page.
    **OGS** I wanted people to remember OGS as a short form for Office Gup Shup. Can you suggest any better way in which I can make people feel what it stands for or you feel it is not necessary at all?

**OGS** What kind of sophisticated images. Do you have any examples or sample websites off the top of your head. Would really help me in visualizing what I should do on the site

- Orange and Bright Red are hard colors to pull off, seeing as they need a "tie-in" color
    **OGS** I am desperately looking for a cool color combination for the site. Do you think shades of green and cool blue would go well. Any other suggestions based on the content on my site

- Validate your work.
    I reduced a lot of validation errors yesterday. Am left with a handful now, will resolve them soon.

**OGS** Which sub-sections are you talking about. Can you please elaborate with the names of the sub-sections

**OGS** Are you talking about color gradients. What did you mean by "In moderation".

Thanks again for your time!
    This will be tons of fun, more typing yay!

For the search bar, just move the search downwards a bit, so it evens out with the bottom of the logo.

Advanced search is a great idea, and a simple search box will do fine. Better than having like 4 options.

" Share boss stories, connect with other boss victims and rate boss performances anonymously" is the area I'm referring to. You have a list of short sentences, which you can easily remove and create a paragraph. Make the paragraph a brief description of your website, like a mini-about us page!

Polls make your site look well... old. Unless you can find a nice AJAX poll, that requires no refreshing of the page, you're better off without it.

The "OGS" isn't necessary at all. You do realize they can look up at the header, or even the website URL and know where they are right?

You should really add images like the ones from IconFactory (As an example, don't use those exact images unless you want to). They have cleaner more "Web 2.0" look to them, so model after them.

Want some nice colors? Just by Googling "color palettes", there are a number of good websites for color schemes. Pick something that you like, and something that is crisp and clean.

Sections and Sub-sections such as: Office Pranks, Office Romance, etc. can be refined down to a more subtle title. They don't fit under the "Confessions" section necessarily, so maybe rename "Confessions" to something more general. I can't think of a word off of the top of my head, but "Confessions" seems to me like you did something horrible, and you have to tell everyone, when in fact pranks are usually funny.

Yes, I'm talking about color gradients, check out my site if you want an idea of what I mean by "moderation". You'll notice that they're very subtle, and used to point out where things separate, not used everywhere.
    PaintingBlack.com - Quality Articles and Web Design

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pretty boring, I suggest a banner that jumps out more

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks drc. Can you tell in a little more detail, what you mean by a banner that jumps out more.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if I remember correctly that banner was different a month ago when I first looked at it. I think its pretty good now, nice site

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would make a bar for nav links instead of a floating buttons
    and maybe do a section background (frame the content) and a diff color for the actual background to give it more a complete look

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before i review , let me just say that I LOVE the idea of the site! This alone will get you far!

Ok, first impressions:
    - Too bright. Go a bit easy on the orange, especially since you have quite a bit of white around it.
    -Drop-downs are hard to read
    - rearrange the top menu selections since you added the two extra ones.

Love the cartoons!

Good luck!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry dont like the design

SitePoint Evangelist WebMachine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike4x4s
    Why don't you make your review a little helpful by explaining why you don't like the site and maybe what could be done to improve it?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great concept... is the site for Indians alone? The logo is a bit overdone and do not follow the minimal requirements needed for a good logo design. Imagine your site grows big and tomorrow you need to print some visiting cards or have to give your employees t-shirts with that logo.

It is very difficult to reproduce logos as this in other mediums. The site has good potential and you should think about the future right now to make the site scalable.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little hard on eyes. Try with black background. Content is Great