SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Safari white box problem

This one has me stumped. A user has reported that he can no longer use our page since the re-design in Safari because the homepage becomes covered with a large white box... screen included which we were sent.

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com

Please note that I am aware the site fails the validation test, but this is because of the plugins not our poor coding.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Follow me on Twitter, or find me on LinkedIn. Latest project: loanpayday.org.uk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several errors in FF as well ... your using innerHTML which I believe is an IE only property.

The site does show a while box covering the page in Safari. The fadeshow does not work in Firefox either.

You might want to install Firefox with the web developer extension, it may help you debug these problems.
    intragenesis, llc professional web & graphic design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using Firefox myself but can't see any problems? What is fadeshow?
    Follow me on Twitter, or find me on LinkedIn. Latest project: loanpayday.org.uk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I see what you mean now. That was working this morning and for the past weeks!

EDIT: It's fine now, was a conflict with a new plugin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw, the layout on the site is really good -- very clean, nice work for a wordpress based site.

Yeah, install the developer extentions on FF -- you can find and fix the errors a lot faster. I think the innerHtml and the javascript you have going is causing the problems. Btw, you can make Flash validate if you configure your site to properly offer alternate content and/or a means for the flash plug-in to install on visitors computers if they don't have it.

I typically develop and test using FF (on OS/X) -- Once I finish a site, it may take about <~ 30 minutes to tweak out any IE CSS display issues.

Again, it looks really good -- keep at it, I'm sure it will end up a fine web site.

hc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitmanuk2k View Post
    Oh I see what you mean now. That was working this morning and for the past weeks!

EDIT: It's fine now, was a conflict with a new plugin.
    Yeah, it displays the Flash now. Still getting an innerHtml error on FF. In addition, you are still getting the white box on Safari. Its probably a CSS layer -- just guessing, check your css and see if the default on that layer is display:none; Then toggle the visibility on, with javascript, when needed -- it may be something to do with your lightbox script.

Check out ThickBox I use it on the home page of my site and like it pretty well, it uses AJAX to load not only images, but dynamic content (other pages) --- and it works across different browsers really well.