SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Yahoo hates me!

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yahoo hates me for some reason, and they pretty much refuse to list any site I submit to them, except one that was critical of them I made a while back. The sites I have submitted have been highly relevant to the categories I submitted to, but referrer logs show they don't even review them. It makes me wonder when I see newly listed sites in Yahoo that look like they took 5 minutes to make what I am doing wrong. I follow yahoo's instructions to the letter and they still refuse to list my site. My site is updated constantly, so I don't know what their problem is. I have never spammed them or anything like that, maybe I'm just too controversial for them or something. Any ideas on what I can do to find out why Yahoo has decided to boycott me?

------------------
    Activist News Network - Plebius Press - Nonprofit Directory

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats what I hate about yahoo, I personally don't care how much submission they get in. They are an all purpose search engine and when a link is submitted it should/needs to be added unless its in there more then one time *the same link*.
    They think since they are big shots on the web they can do what they want, I remember when they were still small...That was so long ago I didn't know what a search engine was and when they had a link asking what their site was about we just said their site sucked because we thought the content would be on their site. When it wasn't...

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strange that they would put up only a site that criticized them.

I've had the same experience and still can't find my site listed in Yahoo even though I (re)registered over a month ago.

But what really amazes me is the junked-up 'webmasters' whose made-in-five-minutes online design businesses are up on Yahoo within a week.

Anyone know why this is?
    Sparkie

------------------
    Leave Your Mark!
    www.pawsitronic.com

Your one-stop web design solution!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I should start writing a bunch of highly critical stories about Yahoo and post them to my site. I bet they'd list me then.

Matt Mickiewicz
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Have you read the article "How to get listed in Yahoo"?

It includes support email addresses that you can contact if your site doesn't get reviewed after you submitted to them, in addition to a listings support number.

------------------
    http://www.webmaster-resources.com
    Articles, Reviews & Resources for webmasters!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pay the $199 fee and be done with it. Worked for me.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I submitted ones three weeks ago and I am listed with no fee, email or whatever.
    Don't ask me why

Regards

------------------
    EMB
    webmaster bluegrass-webresources.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, being near broke most the time I can't pay some stupid $199 fee, especially for listing a nonprofit site.

Yes I have read the article on how to get into yahoo, and I tried their support email once but they never answered so I gave up.

------------------
    Plebius Press - An independent media network

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I don't know how much truth there is in this ..it all sounds a bit hit and miss to me.. but I've heard from a friend that if you submit the site twice, two weeks apart, and then send an email asking them to update your URL, it gets listed. Hmm.. I'll go and try it ;-) Anyway, what is this fee everyone's talking about?

------------------
    --
    Alexis

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yahoo will charge you a $199 dollar fee if you wish to have your site get a "rush" review. This fee does not guarantee a listing on Yahoo though it just gaurantees that someone will look at it faster.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yahoo! has been serving up millions of URL's for a long time, and thanks to various
    advertising campaigns and peoples familiarity with the franchise, it continues to grow.

Getting listed on Yahoo! is a great way to generate some exposure for your site as a
    good listing will bring in visitors, but as some of you may already know, simply submitting
    a URL doesn't guarantee you'll get a listing in.

While ultimately whether your site receives a listing or not is up to the reviewers over at
    Yahoo!, there are a few things you can do to increase the odds.

Make sure your site is done first.
    For some reason, people feel the need to promote their page even though it isn't
    remotely close to being done. Nobody likes visiting a site just to see "Under Construction"
    signs splashed across the index page, and this especially goes for Yahoo! reviewers.

We won't preach to you about the importance of a quality site with fast loading pages,
    good content and design, because hey, we're just about promotion, right?

Read Yahoo's Submission Rules.
    Yeah we know, but we're all busy. It's a fairly quick read, and ensures that you don't
    have pissed off reviewers trashing your submission regardless of the quality of your page.

Yahoo! knows that you want to get listed more than they need your listing, so don't think
    that they'll bend the rules for you, they wont. They've got plenty of listings already.

Find the appropriate category for your site.
    As you'll see from reading they're submission rules, Yahoo! works a little different than a
    regular search engine submission, because you'll have to choose a category for your
    listing to be placed in.

Choosing the right category is very important. The reviewer will essentially be looking at
    your site to determine whether it adheres to a certain quality standard, and to see
    whether it's appropriate for a listing in the category you submitted to.

If your site doesn't fit in the category you submitted to, they wont find a more
    appropriate one, they'll just throw it out.

Write your submission up carefully!
    You won't get a lot of chances to make this right, so take your time and review your
    submission carefully before hitting that final submit button. Under comments tell the
    reviewer what makes your page worth a listing, and things they should check out.

Getting the most out of your listing
    Yahoo! lists sites in each category alphabetically based on their title, so if you can
    create a title that applies to your site beginning with something low on the alphabet
    chain (a,b,c...) you'll get a higher listing.

Do not try to attain a higher listing using titles like "AAA My Site", etc. Remember,
    humans read this stuff, and are clever enough to figure out what you're trying to do.

While Yahoo! is category based, the majority of users will still use the search feature
    when trying to find something in particular. This search will be based on keywords found in
    your title and description. So be sure to use appropriate keywords when describing your
    site, just in a readable, sensible way.

Things to do to NOT get listed

Tell their staff to "hurry up already".

Submit your URL repeatedly. Because a listing can take up to 2 months before it
    goes in, wait at least 6 weeks before requesting a listing a second time.

Submit your URL to regional indexes and categories that have nothing to do with
    your site.

Spam keywords in your titles and description when submitting.

One more time...

Wait until your site is done before submitting.

Read their submission rules at least twice.

Find the appropriate category for your site (or categories, you can have 2 listings)

Review your submission carefully before sending it off.

Good Luck! Remember, be patient in waiting for a listing. You can re-submit your URL if your
    submission was overlooked, but wait at least 6 weeks!

* WHAT'S YAHOO! *

Yahoo! is an online navigational guide to the Web. Yahoo! is a database of links to other
    sites. Yahoo! does not provide any original content, so it can only reference sites that
    already exist. Most sites in Yahoo! are suggested by users. Sites are placed in categories
    by Yahoo! Surfers, who visit and evaluate all suggestions and decide where they best
    belong. This is done to ensure that Yahoo! is organized in the best possible way, making
    the directory easy to use, intuitive, helpful, and fair to everyone.

Yahoo! is the largest directory on the WWW and the most visited, so it's really important
    to be listed in it: it drives a lot of traffic to the sites listed in it. Yahoo is not a keyword
    driven search engine. Yahoo is a CATALOG!!! Yahoo does not list web sites with any
    regard to the keyword content of your web page. Fact is, Yahoo does not even index
    your page at all -- they only index the name of your company and the brief site
    description that you give them at the time that you submit.

* YAHOO! AND CATEGORIES *

First Search Yahoo! with the keywords you think that best fits your web site. Then you
    must find the category the best fits your site. Click on the category link (example:
    Business and Economy: Companies: Internet Services: Web Services: Promotion).

DO NOT submit to irrelevant categories because you're just wasting your time and
    Yahoo!'s time. You will see an orange button at the very top next to the Yahoo! logo that
    says 'Add URL'. Click on it and that category will automatically appear as the category
    that you will add to (You won't have to manually type in a category). After that it's
    pretty self explanatory, BUT read the important tips below when submitting title,
    description, and extra categories for Yahoo.

HOW IT RANKS PAGES

Keywords in the domain name and file name. Keywords in Title. Keywords in Description.
    Keywords in Category. Does not support META Tags. Doesn't accept multiple Do NOT
    submit anything to Yahoo until you are crystal clear exactly what two categories you wish
    to be listed in. And you should use the 'Add URL' from your first choice category only
    (Your second choice category will be a 'fill-in' that should be copy & pasted once you've
    selected it) and then, is only completed at the time you are submitting your web site.
    That means that you do NOT submit until you have examined all of your options and you
    have chosen your top two categories.

Examining the results in a search for certain keywords, we find that every listing contains
    the name of a company and the description they submitted, and there is no hype
    whatsoever in any of these descriptions. You will not find the words 'best' 'incredible'
    'special' 'coolest' 'marvelous', etc... In fact, using anything that remotely resembles 'hype'
    words in your submitted description (not on your web page, mind you -- in your submitted
    description), is the right way on Yahoo to not be listed!

* HOW TO SUGGEST A SITE *

The Yahoo! directory is organized by subject. Most sites in it are suggested to us by
    users. Sites are placed in categories by Yahoo! Surfers, who visit and evaluate your
    suggestions and decide where they best belong. We do this to ensure that Yahoo! is
    organized in the best possible way, making the directory easy to use, intuitive, helpful,
    and fair to everyone. With this in mind, we ask that you follow three simple, yet important
    steps if you have a site (URL) you'd like to suggest: -

Step 1:

Check to See if Your Site is Already in Yahoo! An important first step, because if your site
    is already listed in Yahoo!, you need go no further. Check by searching Yahoo! for your
    site by title, or by browsing appropriate categories. (Note: If your site is already listed in
    Yahoo! but you want to change its comments, title, and/or placement, you need to use
    the change form. This is an entirely different process.) -

Step 2:

Find the Appropriate Category in Yahoo!Finding an appropriate category for your site is at
    the heart of this process. Remember that Yahoo! Surfers visit each site suggested to us,
    and proper categorization on your part helps us process suggestions quickly. What is an
    appropriate category? Click here to read a list of important pointers explaining how we
    organize our directory. (Notes: If you are suggesting a chat area, scheduled chat, or live
    broadcast, including audio or video, please submit directly to Yahoo! Net Events. And if
    your site is only in French, German, Korean, or Japanese, please submit directly to the
    relevant Yahoo! sister site in France, Germany, Korea, or Japan.) -

Step 3:

Suggest your site from the Appropriate Category.Suggest your site from the category you
    think most appropriate. Do this by clicking on the 'Add URL' graphic at the top of that
    category page. (It's the middle, orange button, one of three buttons next to the red
    'Yahoo!' banner.) Again, there is a list of important pointers to help you establish where
    your site belongs.

Also remember that the final placement of your site is determined by Yahoo! Surfers.
    Finally, suggesting a site is free. You pay us nothing. When you click on 'Add URL' in the
    appropriate category, you'll see an online form asking for information about your site. (In
    the 'category' space on the form, you'll see the name of the category you've chosen.)

Please be prepared to provide, among other information, your site's title, URL, and a brief
    description. Finally, thanks for the site. Thanks for contributing to Yahoo! By following the
    above steps (in order, no less!) you're helping us process sites in a timely manner.

good luck guys

I have successfully listed more than 40 sites in yahoo without 199$.

------------------
    Rajesh. V. Tavakari.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

I managed to get Scorpio at number 1 on yahoo - I think the best way to submit is to apply locally - the site will be promoted to the international dir anyway. Also have a yahoo e-mail - believe me it helps. Good Metatags once you are accepted gets you further up the top listings.

If you need a metatag generator:

http://www.scorpiosite69.freeserve.co.uk/metatag.htm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by LuZeR:
    Yahoo hates me for some reason, and they pretty much refuse to list any site I submit to them, except one that was critical of them I made a while back. The sites I have submitted have been highly relevant to the categories I submitted to, but referrer logs show they don't even review them. It makes me wonder when I see newly listed sites in Yahoo that look like they took 5 minutes to make what I am doing wrong. I follow yahoo's instructions to the letter and they still refuse to list my site. My site is updated constantly, so I don't know what their problem is. I have never spammed them or anything like that, maybe I'm just too controversial for them or something. Any ideas on what I can do to find out why Yahoo has decided to boycott me?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    Regards

Jay

-------
    Scorpiosite:
    http://www.scorpiosite.co.uk/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read many places only to submit your site locally if it has local information. My site doesn't have local information so I don't think submitting locally would do any good. I think the problem with my site is that YahoO! doesn't have any categories that really fit it. For the most part Yahoo! expects sites to fit their directory structure instead of making their directory structure fit the sites that get submitted to them. They do ask if a new category should be made for your site, but if there is no category for it in the first place how are you supposed to submit without pissing them off. Yahoo blows, I'm through with them.