SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review: chesschitchat.com

Hi,

I redesigned my website quite a wihle ago but never got round to asking for reviews. So, now I am

The website is:
    http://www.chesschitchat.com

Thanks for any reviews!
    AlienDev
    Me on StackOverflow | Blog & personal website.

I mostly use: PHP, Java, JavaScript, Android.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a big site, so I didn't have time to look at all of it. I didn't like the picture that you use for the heading. I thought it was very boring.
    Would it be possible to have some animated games that you could watch move by move (ie click a button to see each move) with a move by move commentary on what's going on.
    Also I think a site map would be good.

By the way, after kasparov v deep blue, do you think a human will ever be able to beat a machine ever again? 1997 was a long time ago in computer technology.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irodgers View Post
    It's a big site, so I didn't have time to look at all of it. I didn't like the picture that you use for the heading. I thought it was very boring.
    Would it be possible to have some animated games that you could watch move by move (ie click a button to see each move) with a move by move commentary on what's going on.
    Also I think a site map would be good.

By the way, after kasparov v deep blue, do you think a human will ever be able to beat a machine ever again? 1997 was a long time ago in computer technology.
    Thanks for the review! I'll see what I can come up with for a new header image

And no, I don't think humans will be able to beat computers. Computers are always getting faster and more powerful which improves the number of moves ahead they can see. Humans can't improve anymore. Super-grandmasters are the top of chess and I don't think there is anything they can do to learn more about chess now.

Computers will be able to beat humans easy in the next 10 years I bet!
    Me on StackOverflow | Blog & personal website.

I mostly use: PHP, Java, JavaScript, Android.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First impressions: site colors and images are very boring. When I think of chess, I think sophisticated, rich, complicated, intricate, etc. Try capturing some of those elements in your design, to make it more interesting, to grab the users attention, pull them in. I think the header image is fine, I think you need to play with the font and colors some more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't say the colors are too boring, but I don't really like them too much. I think they are a little too bright/neon? Also, as a first impression, i thought it was going to be a forum based on the domain...
    T35.com Web Hosting «» Free Web Hosting & Free Image Hosting
    » Providing Quality Web Hosting Since 1997 | AIM: T35Management

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont like the colors and your header image looks like its just getting cut off at the top of the page. Either rework the header image or add some space at the top so it does not look like its just being cut off at the browsers toolbar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Alien

1. I'm seeing your site with a 1400 x 900 resolution, and it looks odd. The page is sticking at the top leaving large space around. I can see that you are making it for 800 x 600. Probably you could think to go fluid. However, this is not that important. What you could do, though, is to add some top margins, or try to align the block vertically at the middle. That will help it look better in larger resolutions.

2. You some page sticking at the top, with very small content, others are running miles. I would probably make the pages more or less of equal height, with pagination, and may be with an option to see the whole page at one go.

3. The forum is not matching with rest of the site. If the site is important to me, I will try to look them alike. The global look.

Rest looks fine, I like the color combination. It's simple, and clean.