SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

The least technologically advanced state in the US
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minimum height isn't working as expected for background image.

I have set the minimum height for the background image expecting that when a table started to extend the page that the image would keep repeating downward as the page grew. But for some reason it isn't occuring. The image does repeat along y up until 600px. I am pretty sure becuase it's only a 100px height image, so it appears to be repeating quite well up until that point.
    I've only been able to check it in firefox 2.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Code:
    #lftsidebar { background-image: url(../images/left_shadow.png);
    width: 32px;
    min-height: 600px;
    background-repeat: repeat-y;
    float: left;
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    }

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Centauri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the height of #lftsidebar will only increase past the 600px if its contents (unfloated or cleared) push it further than that. If you are expecting #lftsidebar to expand in unison with its container, that isn't going to happen - in that case, the background should be applied to the container.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That poses a serious dilemma for me. You see, the #leftsidebar is an area of graphics that I have floated before a menu just to the right of it that is also preceding my main content area.
    This small #leftsidebar area is where I need the background graphic, otherwise to make it a background graphic of a larger area would mean I would need to create a very large graphic to support 3 separate content areas. Or so I believe...

Anyone have any other ideas?
    To see what I am talking about, look at this:
    http://foo.no-ip.org/images/dataviewhlp.gif

the left sidebar is the left gray bar that is a small graphic that repeats vertically. That's what I need to have expand as the main content area fills with tabular data.

Well, there is a left and a right gray bar.
    Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cannot view the graphic - server timeout.

If you have a wrapper div that encloses all of the sidebar, menu and main content areas, then the sidebar background can be applied to the container, repeating down the left side - that way, the graphic will always go the height of the container, which is determined by the height of all enclosed content. Any background graphics on the menu or main content area will simply overlay on top. This way, it just looks like the sidebar extends all the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The major problem is that there is a border graphic that runs down each side of the page. I can make one the background for the left side of the container but what about the right side?
    Maybe I could use it just an image and lay that out? I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.

Nope, I don't think that will work. How am I now to make the right page border image resize as the page grows from the main content? They were both small images that were simply repeated for both sides of the page as a graphic border with shadow. Now trying to use both a background image and a image to accomplish seems very difficult as I don't believe they have all of the same properties.

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Perhaps i'm missing the point, but why can't you use a left and right border?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would be good to get a link online to what you already have - would make it easier to suggest somthing seeing the overall site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I understand what you are saying now. All I'd have to do is make a 10x600px graphic that includes just that much of both borders and use that as the repeating image. Then like you said, the menu and main content will overlay that.
    I will give that a shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, you are brilliant. Worked like a charm. I really needed to get around that mental block of separate left and right parts. Once I started to think about the horizontal vs just the vertical it clicked.

Kudos