SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full blog post or just a teaser

What do you think is better? Having your full blog post viewable on the main page or a teaser with a 'read more' option underneath? Do you care either way?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can work either way. If you post multiple times per day, though, I'd prefer teasers on the homepage. Otherwise I'm likely to miss some of your posts once I've read my share of whatever full ones are nearer the top of the page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I'll post a teaser if I've got a long article, or a spoiler or something like that.
    SUPPORT FOR NEW BLOGGERS - TRY THE Blogging Forum

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on how long the post is. I hate clicking "read more" and loading a new page just to get another few sentences when I'm expecting a nice long post. I definitely prefer having a teaser for long posts, though - makes it much easier to scroll through the blog.
    Get more backlinks!
    Auto-submission to 300 quality directories for only $20.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My answer is pretty much the same as the rest. It really depends on the length of the post and how often I am posting!
    Sara

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think better teaser,the introduction part should be interesting and make people click more button..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should a blog post be so long that you actually have to click read more because it wouldn't fit on the home page? You have written an article, not a blog. You might as well blog about the article on the home page and link to it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking beyond the reader, and for SEO reasons only, it is convenient to have a teaser, with a read more tag. This way you avoid duplicate content (that is produced by having the same full text in the front page and in the individual post).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I highly doubt any major search engine is going to give you a duplicate content penalty for posting full articles since most blogging software works this way. Most people post short blogs, and therefore there is no teaser text.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your articles are well known for being informative and people come to your site for exactly that reason, use excerpts, if you're just starting out and aim for a larger % of viewers actually reading, keep it on the main page. Having summaries on the main page will get you more ad impressions, but it's only worth it if people acctualy get on the second page.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really dislike teasers or "cut" posts. For someone who attracts people to his content, it is always to you disadvantage when the reader's line of thought is broken. Its doom when the second page gets too long to load.

I'd go for the full post. This can also be supported by a "recent entries" list on the side.

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it much more enjoyable to read blogs that have a teaser for long posts or those with media somewhere in them (video, lots of pictures, etc.), but I do prefer full article RSS feeds.