Apple's hardware is great!

<snip></snip>
    Last edited by spikeZ; Oct 9, 2007 at 13:03. Reason: not really funny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Yank View Post
    The forum threads associated with my editorial in the last issue of the Tech Times,

Many of the Mac users here at SitePoint have been plagued by similar hardware issues, Bob. I seem to have lucked out with this MacBook (knock on rounded, black plastic), but I certainly keep my system well backed-up and protected by a solid warranty.

What do you think? Is Apple hardware crummy?
    I have a Macbook and it's been great. Prior to that, I had an iBook and that was a great laptop as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, I'm Apple user and never encourage my friends to switch to Intel Mac.

The 2nd price for iBook G4 1.2 GHz and MacBook Core Duo 1.83 GHz are SAME! Whoa...

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bad..I own no Mac aside from my Ipod Nano! And I love it!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have used Mac's, Windows clones, and Linux running on Windows clones and Toshiba and IBM lap-tops. The Mac's have always been good. Sure the odd hardware problem here or their, but I always liked the RISC chips and the fact that they have been 64bit for eons. Macs got lost for a little while during the clone year and about 2 years on each side of that debacle, however they are back on track - wait at least to the third generation and you should be good (BTW this is common with AMD and Intel boards with integrated chip sets - as the drivers and firmware is generally pretty buggy in the beginning).

Now a days, Linux machines are more my taste. You can build a box with a good motherboard, RAID edition HD, Lots of DDR2 RAM, Big power supply and Sata Raid for around $600.00 and drop Kubuntu or SUSE on it and the performance rocks - networking is much faster than with Macs or Windows and the applications really seem to shine much better under the 64 bit than Windows (even 64 bit versions of Windows)

What is really nice is that either using Virtulization or Wine the design apps like CS3 work great. Because Virtulization and Wine don't use a full wrapper they actually talk to the hareware directly, the performance is fantastic - you can't notice the difference between a similarly configured Windows machine; and then there is the 17 000 or so applications with 3/4 of them work just great. It is the low cost / high performance option.

With Kubuntu or Ubuntu you have a really polished distribution that takes care of your wireless and your multimedia components. With OpenOffice by Sun you can now make interchangeable and compatible documents with Office, but also have so many other output options. It is really worth a try.

Developing using Eclipse is just great for HTML, Java, PHP ... but if you don't like Eclipse or want to learn it then Dreamweaver works great too!

Regards,
    ServerStorm
    ictus==""

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awasson View Post
    ...dotnetnoob, you've no doubt heard that oem manufacturers like Foxconn don't actually design or spec the equipment that they produce haven't you? That's why Apple, Dell, IBM, HP, etc... employ what are generally known as Engineers and Industrial Designers. Mac & PC hardware are certainly not the same. The firmware is different and the hardware is specifically different. If it weren't, you would be able to run OSX on a PC.

* I know, you can run OSX on a PC if you fool the OS into thinking it is running on Mac hardware but that kinda reinforces my point doesn't it.
    There is nothing to fool, Mac OS can run natively on any Intel CPU best on the Core 2 or Xeon where there are built in drivers.

What you need are patches that adjust the Mac to how PCs work and to add more drivers for more hardware. Its not fooling Mac at all.

My own install of Mac OS on a PC works very well aside from networking not working as I don't have drivers for my NIC card yet. But works as well as any Mac.
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2236/...abadea9b_b.jpg
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the iMac hardware. We have 2 currently for testing, both running Windows XP sp2 as there only OS. We also have a USB drive with OSX on it so we can external boot them if they need firmware upgrades.

They are very solid system and we have yet to have any problems with them. I do dread having to take one apart, from the service guide it looks like it will be a nightmare, about how difficult the older G4 laptops were.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    What you need are patches that adjust the Mac to how PCs work and to add more drivers for more hardware. Its not fooling Mac at all.
    Exactly... There are at least three methods that come to mind. You apply patches to the darwin kernel, apply patches to the the H/W bios, or you run a virtual process that mimics Mac H/W but you are still doing the same thing... You have to make OSX think it is installing on Mac H/W.

So another word for that would be... "fooling"

BTW: Unpacked the new 24" Imac, set it up and then the disappointment set in when I went back to my XP machine... My XP machine is plenty fast but the graphics don't even come close
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development