SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having more hardware doesn't fix faulty hardware. A bad stick of memory isn't fixed by adding 3 more next to it. Your HP machine probably had a faulty piece of hardware and that's why it kept crashing. I had a Red Hat Enterprise 4 server that crashed every few hours. Once I had the data center put new memory in it, it never crashed again.

Windows 2k/xp/vista don't generally blue screen on software issues, even at the driver level. A driver can still crash the system, but it's a lot more rare. The OS recover from those types of failures, even restarting drivers now. Blue screen crashes are reserved for truly irrecoverable issues... essentially broken hardware.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Having more hardware doesn't fix faulty hardware. A bad stick of memory isn't fixed by adding 3 more next to it. Yes, old Windows OSes crashed a lot more from low level software issues, but not 2k/xp/vista. They recover from those. Even a failed driver doesn't crash Windows anymore. Blue screen crashes are reserved for truly irrecoverable crashes.

Your point was originally about quality of hardware not quantity. My point was that it is not necessarily true. You can have the best hardware on board but a bug in the software will bring you down every time.

* Memory sticks usually get you at boot time.

** My favorite hardware problem is improper cooling. Sometimes it works... sometimes it doesn't... Just enough inconsistency to cloud the issue.
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development

Always have a backup plan! failsafe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weighing-in on the platform question

Just thought I'd weigh-in on the question of what hardware is being used for creative design and Web development.

I started out in the late 80s with an XT running one of the first versions of Windows and Ventura Publisher, looking at an amber screen! I persisted with upgrades of PC machines until the early nineties when a client sent me files in Mac format. Thinking that adding a Mac to our mix might be a good thing, I purchased a used 7600.

Since that time I've had several Macs including an 8600, a couple of G3s and a G4 that, with regular upgrades, is still operating well after 9 years of service. My machines are used daily in a production atmosphere, and other than the odd hard disk failure, the most pesky thing I've run into is peripherals that don't work after an OS upgrade, but I imagine that is the same for all platforms.

I still run an XP PC for checking sites (though I'm looking at PC emulation software for the Mac), and an old 386 for keeping the books, but virtually all creative work is now worked on a Mac platform.

A few days after the new iMac came out I ordered one. The 24-inch screen is amazing, although I am still getting used to the slim keyboard and the feel of the Mighty Mouse. The iLife suite came preinstalled with the OS and a recent upgrade to the CS3 Studio package has provided a truly enjoyable collection of tools for creating design for print, Web and broadcast.

I believe that any computer, PC, Mac or other, is merely a tool like any other, that we use to create. Just as a painter might have a favourite brush that they enjoy working with, we each choose systems that we are most comfortable with that work for us as individuals. For me it's the Mac.

Cheers.
    "We're all mad here." Cheshire Cat—Alice in Wonderland, 1865

Graphic Design • Web Development • Writing and Voice Services

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My G3 Pismo (last notebook before the G4s) has been used heavily every day for 7 years. The screen did wacky things when it was new, but Apple fixed it. The DVD drive died right before the service warranty ran out. Apple fixed it. Of course the battery is long dead. Don't know about the newer stuff. My clay tablet is holding up fine, though it's surely near its end.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a defective wireless mighty mouse. The right-scroll didn't work at all. I took it in to the store and had it replaced immediately. The new mighty mouse hasn't given me any problems since. Although, sometimes it does seem like the ball gets clogged by dirt, so you need to give it a hard blow to get the dust/dirt out.
    And so I got lost in code...completely asphyxiated by it...

Premium WordPress plugins - Tribulant Software

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Mighty" annoying

Quote Originally Posted by Contrid View Post
    I had a defective wireless mighty mouse. The right-scroll didn't work at all. I took it in to the store and had it replaced immediately. The new mighty mouse hasn't given me any problems since. Although, sometimes it does seem like the ball gets clogged by dirt, so you need to give it a hard blow to get the dust/dirt out.
    I ended up disabling the side buttons because it just got plain annoying having stuff pop up when I was tracking across the 24" monitor real estate!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should just mention (since this thread is about hardware specifically), that I think the mighty mouse is junk. A really poor quality mouse, its just like the ipod headphones, a freeby you get with the mac that you should sell/give away and get something with more quality.

I don't think mac hardware is anything special. They do package their hardware choices beautifully, but it is really just the same as a carefully selected PC system from Dell, a Sony Vaio or a carefully (well researched) custom built PC.

The real difference is the software, and after using windows for a number of years, the move to OS X is the best decision I've made in years. Great OS, great free/shareware/cheap mac software out there, unix stability and many great features put it years beyond Microsoft imo. If you design/code professionally, at least give a mac a try its great for work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pfitz View Post
    I should just mention (since this thread is about hardware specifically), that I think the mighty mouse is junk. A really poor quality mouse, its just like the ipod headphones, a freeby you get with the mac that you should sell/give away and get something with more quality....
    I wouldn't disagree, although I do like the horizontal scrolling feature. What mouse do you recommend?

TIA

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by failsafe View Post
    I wouldn't disagree, although I do like the horizontal scrolling feature. What mouse do you recommend?

TIA
    Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000 has horizontal scrolling too

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000 has horizontal scrolling too
    or shift-scroll with any mouse that has a scroll wheel, horizontal or not

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what a funny thread. You guys do know Apple, Dell, HP...etc. are all made by the same company, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn

"Among other things, Foxconn produces the Mac mini, the iPod and the iPhone for Apple Computer; Intel-branded motherboards for Intel Corp.; various orders for American computer retailers Dell, Inc. and Hewlett Packard; the PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 for Sony; the Wii for Nintendo, and cell phones for Motorola"

99.9% of hardware sold on today's market are all made by oversea OEM.

The only thing that is different between Mac and PC is the OS.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dotnetnoob View Post
    what a funny thread. You guys do know Apple, Dell, HP...etc. are all made by the same company, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn

"Among other things, Foxconn produces the Mac mini, the iPod and the iPhone for Apple Computer; Intel-branded motherboards for Intel Corp.; various orders for American computer retailers Dell, Inc. and Hewlett Packard; the PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 for Sony; the Wii for Nintendo, and cell phones for Motorola"

99.9% of hardware sold on today's market are all made by oversea OEM.

The only thing that is different between Mac and PC is the OS.
    Oh crap... Have I just fallen for the troll bait... Oh well

dotnetnoob, you've no doubt heard that oem manufacturers like Foxconn don't actually design or spec the equipment that they produce haven't you? That's why Apple, Dell, IBM, HP, etc... employ what are generally known as Engineers and Industrial Designers. Mac & PC hardware are certainly not the same. The firmware is different and the hardware is specifically different. If it weren't, you would be able to run OSX on a PC.

* I know, you can run OSX on a PC if you fool the OS into thinking it is running on Mac hardware but that kinda reinforces my point doesn't it.
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/02/0413212

Apple seems to be having difficulty getting to grips with a Bluetooth problem on MacBooks. Bluetooth goes unavailable intermittently from what users are assuming is a hardware problem, and while it's out the machines won't stay in sleep mode. Complaints started last spring on the Apple forum, which is still quite active. Many people have had to send their MacBooks for repair more than once without a satisfactory resolution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    or shift-scroll with any mouse that has a scroll wheel, horizontal or not
    Hmm. Tried it with a Microsoft mouse . Didn't work.

Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^That's very strange...shift-scroll works perfectly on my Macs with an MS mouse - in fact I tested this functionality as I typed this post - works like a charm.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Apple Hardware Crummy?

Is Apple Hardware Crummy?
    ----
    no.

I have been an Apple user for almost 20 years. I have never, ever had a component failure of any kind. I've owned 6 macs and they all still work like the day they were born.
    I'm a multimedia developer, so I have used many different kinds of cards and accessories.

Apple Rocks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its interesting, on the discussion of of BSODs, I run a computer which dual boots between Windows and a custom Debian based Linux distro. I run Linux 80% of the time and Windows 20% of the time. I have never had a single crash in linux yet Windows gives me a BSOD 4 or 5 times a year. If those BSODs are all because of hardware problems why is it that Linux can handle the errors and Windows can't. I think these BSODs probably are caused by Hardware errors but it is perhaps the way the system Kernal and its wrappers and drivers interact with the hardware that induces these errors.
    "When you say 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows',
    people just stare at you blankly and say 'Hey, I got those
    with the system, for free'." (L. Torvalds)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an old Titanium Powerbook that is literally held together with duct tape because I dropped it at least twice. It runs fine. I had a Mac laptop before that that was virtually indestructible.

My Macbook Pro is a bit over a year old and has already had a battery replaced (part of that big Sony battery recall) and a SuperDrive replaced. But I got the machine when the Macbook Pro Intel line was still new (got an offer I couldn't refuse). Buying the new model of anything is always a gamble.

Other than the still-wacky SuperDrive (I think the problem with the new-generation SuperDrives is that they are just too thin), the Macbook runs beautifully.

Of course, so does my old Dell desktop.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Apple hardware has always worked. Hard drives die in the long run, so does old CRTs, but that is nothing special for Apple.

Regards
    Thorolf A. Holmboe

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Mac Hardware

OK Then, I have been using mac for a while now. I even convinced members of staff that we could not do without them because of their sturdiness.

I am typing this from my Powerbook g4 Titanium that I have had since 2002. I have only needed to upgrade the ram, the computer has been used and abused and is known as "my baby". This is the sort of thing you can expect when you have a servent that never answers you back and is ready whenever you are.

The same can't be said about the 12" powerbook aluminium I got last year (which was stolen recently). The hard drive funked up. I had to trawl around Manchester in the worst rain britain has seen in 75 years to get a new one. Then to find that Mac made it really hard to get into that laptop, unlike my baby, which is really easy.

When it was stolen I was bothered more that I lost the charger £80, a brand new battery £85, and a new hard drive £65. The laptop to me was a rabbid dog, it always had problems. I am glad it's gone.

I now back up every week if not every day just incase a repeat happens. The same goes for the I-Pod(s) and all periferals. Apple makes so much money from us. They should pay that back by testing the hardware properly.

I think I will stick with my G4 until they bring a new operating system out, hopefully they will advance enough and realise that we pay more because the product is better. If the product loses its sturdiness, we will walk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a g4imac with the swivel screen. man was that a nice machine. but to slow to run photoshop on. so this past summer I got 2.16 macbook with 2gigs of memory and I just love it. Its small enough for travel work.. yet when I plug it into my 20" monitor at home its great as I have everything that I was working on during the day right there and I don't have to worry about file sync stuff or stuff like that.

Overall I love my macbook. I also have had a 30gig ipod and more recently a 8gig ipod touch. Mac lover at heart

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I luv apple/macs, but I have to admit there has been problems in particular with hw.

SW is the best, but every mac I purchased (1 G5 & 1macbook) in the last few years has had to have been sent back on a couple of occasions. And every one that I know closely has had to send their back - (2) macbooks and 1 (g5) for repairs shortly after purchase. That for me is quite a record. Once fixed the seem to go on and on though.

I definitely take out the extended care just for peace of mind.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't used a Mac in years, but my first monitor failed about a week after the warranty expired. Boy was I pissed!

Now I build my own pc's. Much better!

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am now closely approaching my second year of using a Mac. So far, I have had no problems. I have owned two systems. The first system was a PowerMac G5. Very reliable. I had no issues with it whatsoever. I then opted for an upgrade and bought a Mac Pro. That is the system I've been using for almost a year now and so far nothing has happened. iPods and the like have also run smoothly with no issues. So, all in all, in my relatively short period of using Macs, I have not had any hardware issues.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've owned 3 apple computers. eMac, iBook, and Mac Pro. Never a problem, excellent machines. I've never had to reinstall OS unless I was bored and just wanted to start over with a clean drive. No hardware problems at all.