SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this forum is the only place I've ever heard of hardware problems with Macs. My former employer (Silicon Graphics) had hundreds of them on campus and I never heard of problems there. A current client has quite a few, maybe 50, and they never complain. Some of the graphic people I know always talk to me about getting a Mac. So I don't hear such complaints.

SitePoint Evangelist tetsuo shima's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first bought a Mac, a couple years ago, it didn't work. They had to change a piece of hardware. Then another one. Then another one. And another one again. Finally they gave me a new computer. I am really not comfortable with Macs since then. I don't trust that brand and the anxiety of backups has never left me (with my PCs I allow myself not to make backups right away sometimes...)
    The SEO Faq thread
    Dependency injection made easy: Phemto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience while there can be issues like iBook G4 logic board fiascos, generally its pretty high quality and there are more dumb people that don't take proper care of machines (like letting their batteries run until they permanently die w/o charging) than just poor hardware.

I've yet to have problems with any of my Macs in the last 3 years or so. (12" PowerBook, 1st Gen Intel iMac, 13" MacBook, and now 15" MBP)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most of these stories are just bullcrap. Anytime people say "i never had any problems" then it's probably obvious they really don't do much with their computer.

I've used windows, dos, various Apple systems, linux, unix, a few different mainframe systems and in all honesty, the best system has always been the mainframe. But it's too burdensome and a pain and a neck to maintain. Plus spending time on green screens and dummy terminals isn't that fun.

I use a supped up IMAC at home, my wife uses XP, and I have another computer with solaris on it. They all have their issues and if you use any one of them long enough, crashes happen. Windows does seem to have a lot more issues and crashes than the other operating systems, but at the end of the day, my Mac crashes just like anything else.

I just tire of the whole 'fanboy' lemming syndrome. When somebody says something is perfect with 0 problems, I tend to think they have no common sense.

On another note, it's always funny to hear people call Microsoft the 'evil empire.' Kind of like Red Sox fans calling the Yankees the 'evil empire.' Yeah like the Red Sox aren't spending money and not known as the one of the most racist cities in America. But back to the original point, Microsoft is just like any other big corporation. They get away with things they really shouldn't and they do things because they are so wealthy. Call them evil if you want, but they are no different than the Apples and Googles of the world. Yeah what Apple did to the IPhone users was kind of funny. Serves them people right I guess. "Oh Apple is the best company ever and Microsoft is evil." Now I guess when somebody tells you to buy another IPhone cause you violated the warranty on yours makes them good.

Apple, Google, Microsoft, IBM, and every other corporation and large company out there are no different than the next. Call them all evil if you want, but at the end of the day, none of them are out to save the world. THey are out to make more money.
    Today isn't and tomorrow and tomorrow isn't today.
    Yesterday isn't tomorrow and tomorrow isn't yesterday.
    But today will soon be yesterday.
    http://www.pjam3.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only apple products Ive owned have been the ipods, the first one died on me so I just tossed it aside for a shuffle but when I bough a new ipod the one before this latest release, I took open my old Ipod and I was able to fix it by putting more padding(folded business card) between the drive and the case, so failed hard drive because you were scringy on the packing is pretty bad. Also I ruined two pairs of the defaul apple headphones by the vibrations of riding a motorcycle and yet a 15 dollar pair from walmart have lasted. So I definently think apple doesnt do enough stress testing.

That said of the 30 apple desktops/laptops in my universities newspaper none of them have had any hardware problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    who called microsoft evil?
    I use my mac plenty, and while I've had on die on me, I got plenty of use before it did.........In the past year my intel based mac, has crashed, um, oh 2 times(I usually have all cs3 running, itunes, imovive, iphoto, idvd, quark and surfing the net....ALL at the same time....)...
    PORTFOLIO
    www.artwanted.com/missytini
    In the featured gallery at the pond!!!!
    http://logopond.com/gallery/detail/17193

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geosite View Post
    I did spend the extra $300 for an extended Apple Care warranty. It seems like a bit of a scam to me, but I sure do enjoy the peace of mind.
    What makes Apple Care a scam? Are you saying the warranty is fraudulent?
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing View Post
    It shouldn't cost that much. However, when the alternative is Windows, I suppose $300 is a bargain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, you don't really think it's a scam, you just think it's overpriced?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, you don't really think it's a scam, you just think it's overpriced?
    Off Topic:

I think it's better than M$, whether it's a scam or just overpriced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, you are saying that it doesn't really matter if the words you used were accurate. Your point was that you don't like Microsoft?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, you are saying that it doesn't really matter if the words you used were accurate.
    Off Topic:

If you go back and read the original post you're referring to, I think my meaning is perfectly clear - to everyone but you, at least. But if you've hired an attorney to examine it, you might want him to notice words like "seem" and "bit of."

Your point was that you don't like Microsoft?
    Off Topic:

I wrote, "It seems like a bit of a scam to me, but I sure do enjoy the peace of mind." If you want to interpret that as meaning "I don't like Microsoft," go ahead. You could also interpret it as "Coastal erosion is one problem people don't face in the Midwest." Whatever.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Must resist getting drawn into the conversation.... Ahhh.... Too late my hands that are typing already....

I've had plenty of Apple Care extended warranty's over the years but have always had trouble when it's time to collect on them.

Dang it... now I'm remembering more hardware problems.

One case that stands out was when the $200 mouse broke and we had to have it replaced. It became such a circus that a local retailer who we didn't even purchase it from replaced the mouse and then took on Apple Care. I don't think they were never reimbursed. The problem was that although we had all the paperwork for Apple Care... Apple had no record of it in their system. We bought the computer and Apple Care directly from Apple Canada via a phone order. They even sent all the paperwork which confused them even more because we could fax over paperwork that according to their system didn't exist.

Not a scam but frustratingly innefective.
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a shame. The shift key popped off my keyboard last week. One of the little tabs that holds it on broke so it doesn't stay in anymore and it's a real pain to type. I paid $120 for this keyboard & mouse set (Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000) about 6 months ago.

Luckily a single mail was all it took to get a replacement. No serial numbers or receipts or any of that baloney to deal with. Microsoft Hardware replaces defective items without receipts, hassles, or returning the broken item. Just mail or call and give your address and they send you the new one. Not the first time I've made use of their awesome 100% satisfaction policy. I mailed yesterday and got the response today.

Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 14:58:30 +0000
    <HARDW.CONQ.NA.00.EN.STR.MUM.TS.1FL.PXG.00.WB@css.one.microsoft.com>
    Subject: SRX1045667685ID - Case No: 1045667685
    To: djg38[nospam]drexel.edu

Hello Dan,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Hardware Online Support.

My name is Ashish, and I will be helping you with the Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000 issue.

As I understand, the "Shift" of the Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000 is come out. If I have misunderstood the issue, please let me know. I appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting the issue.

I can understand how frustrating it would be when a device does not come up to your expectations. After reviewing the case, it seems that the keyboard has turned defective.

At this point, we would like to offer a product replacement for the Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000.

Please provide me the following information

1. Your Mailing Address (Including the Zip Code).
    2. Phone number.
    3. Product Name.

I will place the order and write back to you with the Order Details. Note that we will need the phone number to callback in case of any issues with the shipping of the product and also in some cases to confirm delivery of the product. Without the phone number, the order cannot be processed.

This service is available only for the residents of United States and Canada. The order Help desk will not able to ship replacement products to any address outside of the United States and Canada. We will not be able to ship the devices to any PO Box address.

Please note that under normal circumstances if the device is available for replacement you should be receiving the replacement within 8-10 days. In case the device is out of stock, it may take a bit longer than expected.

To obtain product replacements outside of United States and Canada, contact the Microsoft Subsidiary closest to your location. International support options can be found at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

If you have any further questions or need clarifications, please let me know, I will be glad to assist you.

Regards,
    Ashish
    Microsoft Product Support Services
    http://support.microsoft.com/hardware

To provide additional feedback or to explore more support options, please visit the Microsoft Help and Support Website at:
    http://support.microsoft.com

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Not the first time I've made use of their awesome 100% satisfaction policy. I mailed yesterday and got the response today.
    Gee, I'm sure we're all tickled pink that you got a new keyboard. Now if they'd just let you exchange your computer for a Mac!

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see you missed the point that the experience was so much better with Microsoft than you had with Apple Care on an almost identical issue. Microsoft Hardware is a wonderful little division. I've always used IntelliMouse mice. Logitech used to have the best keyboards (I loved my Logitech Elite), but I've preferred the feel of Microsoft's models the past year or two. It's a shame they don't make entire computers.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see you missed the point that the experience was so much better with Microsoft than you had with Apple Care on an almost identical issue.
    Uh, refresh my memory - what "almost identical experience" did I have with Apple Care? I certainly haven't had any problems with keys popping off my keyboard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You had a defective mouse. I had a defective keyboard. We tried to get support from the manufacturer. Is that really difficult to connect?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to run OSX on my PC hardware only because I like building my own machines and selecting the exact components I want to use, not to mention I could build something great for a lot less than a Mac desktop machine goes for.

I've had my MacBook for about a year and a 2nd and 4th gen ipod and have never had problems with any of them - which is a lot more than I can say for the Dell laptop I had at work a few years ago.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You had a defective mouse. I had a defective keyboard. We tried to get support from the manufacturer. Is that really difficult to connect?
    Yes, it is hard to connect, for two reasons...

1. I've never had a defective mouse (except for a mouse I bought for my PC a few years ago).

2. I've never had to contact Apple for support.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I meant awasson's mouse. Same deal. You responded as if my post was a complete tangent when it was 100&#37; on topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjam3 View Post
    Apple, Google, Microsoft, IBM, and every other corporation and large company out there are no different than the next. Call them all evil if you want, but at the end of the day, none of them are out to save the world. THey are out to make more money.
    Yes, but unlike the other company's Google is genuinely interested in the overall good for the community. They support open source projects and make significant contributions to the internet community. I mean the other companies do make contributions to Charity but they always seem to just be a PR maneuver.
    "When you say 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows',
    people just stare at you blankly and say 'Hey, I got those
    with the system, for free'." (L. Torvalds)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twistie View Post
    Yes, but unlike the other company's Google is genuinely interested in the overall good for the community. They support open source projects and make significant contributions to the internet community. I mean the other companies do make contributions to Charity but they always seem to just be a PR maneuver.

are you honestly trying to say IBM contributes less than Google to the open source community?

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really, Kevin/SitePoint?

You post two Apple-related threads that are already designed as being "Mac vs. PC", feature at least one of them, subsequently close that one due to inevitable flamefest (exacerbated by more than just normal non-staff members), start up another one with a clearly trolling topic title, and give the rationale for the thread as being brought up by some guy who doesn't have problems with his Mac but says his friends have problems but his own Dell and Toshiba don't have problems but his Mac still doesn't have problems? And, of course, you frame the conversation again by saying that "many of the Mac users here at SitePoint have been plagued by similar hardware issues" when at the same time the front page of Computer Hardware and Software right now has roughly 50-75&#37; of threads centering on Windows issues and the remaining chunk of threads centering on which Mac to buy? And yet you still thought it was a good idea to post the thread in this fashion? Really?

I love a great discussion, but this one's going to be anything but.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lo0ol View Post
    Really, Kevin/SitePoint?

You post two Apple-related threads that are already designed as being "Mac vs. PC", feature at least one of them, subsequently close that one due to inevitable flamefest (exacerbated by more than just normal non-staff members), start up another one with a clearly trolling topic title, and give the rationale for the thread as being brought up by some guy who doesn't have problems with his Mac but says his friends have problems but his own Dell and Toshiba don't have problems but his Mac still doesn't have problems? And, of course, you frame the conversation again by saying that "many of the Mac users here at SitePoint have been plagued by similar hardware issues" when at the same time the front page of Computer Hardware and Software right now has roughly 50-75% of threads centering on Windows issues and the remaining chunk of threads centering on which Mac to buy? And yet you still thought it was a good idea to post the thread in this fashion? Really?

I love a great discussion, but this one's going to be anything but.
    they discovered same things d1gg and other tech blogs have discovered awhile back, these flamewars bring in more traffic => ^ profit

the most outrageous posts make the day, and they dont even have to be remotely based on facts.

are we seeing the slide of sitepoint from a serious webmaster forum where alot of very smart people discuss various topics to yet another "micro$oft is evil, ubuntu/mac should be worshiped" tech (OS worship?) slpog?