SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How will Yahoo! change Zimbra?

Yahoo! acquires all the coolest companies. First it was Flickr, then del.icio.us, and now it's bagged Zimbra (for a reported US$350 million!), which I dare say is the company with the most Ajax know-how on the planet (with the possible exception of The Google).

If you haven't heard of it already, Zimbra is an open source email, address book, and calendaring server based on open source technologies tied together with a bunch of Java code. It competes with Microsoft Exchange, and is most noted for its rich web interface that makes heavy use of Ajax. We use Zimbra at SitePoint.

Zimbra was doing Ajax-powered email before Google made it cool. The company has also contributed a great deal of Ajax know-how to the world. Zimbra released of one of the first industrial-strength Ajax libraries, it helped to spearhead the OpenAjax Alliance, and has published numerous blog posts that have illuminated the sometimes murky waters of real-world Ajax development.

Now that Zimbra belongs to Yahoo!, I would only expect to see these trends continue. Yahoo! has made amazing contributions of both code and knowledge to the community lately, especially through the Yahoo! Developer Network. This open and sharing approach to web development seems to be something the two companies have in common.

As for how Zimbra the product (as opposed to Zimbra the company) is likely to change, that's something many people are a little more nervous about. Yahoo! has seemed—at least from my vantage—to favor PHP over Java for server-side development, and is reportedly looking to leverage its investment in Zimbra to make inroads into new markets. What changes to Zimbra might this strategy prompt?
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Zimbra as implemented by EMBARQ is TOTAL CRAP

I don't know what planet others are on but if you have the total crap system that embarq uses by zimbra it is a royal piece of dung.

It's not cross platform (it rarely works on windows xp and vista much less on a mac); if it works, it works like crap, it looks like crap, it's slow like constipated crap.

The Zimbra help system is straight from microsoft 1984-88 - they don't believe in contextual search. You do all the work and it's simply total inefficient time-wasting lazy non-customer-oriented luddite crap.

Maybe yahoo will fix zimbra -- it can't possibly be any worse.

But all this 'it's cross platform' bull is complete & total BULLPUCKY. It has a long fricking way to go. What is the fascination with java that is so buggy, UNRELIABLE and so ice-glacier-slow on so many browsers?

Meanwhile it can go straight down the toilet with the other worthless crap that is embarq & embarqmail until it actually works -- along with the rest of the mythological cross-platform-not-ready-for-primetime crap.

Last edited by not-registered; Sep 28, 2007 at 13:52.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So... let me get this straight... you don't like it?
    work: revs | ecru
    reviews: films | mp3s
    projects: Glastonbury Tor | London IT support

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had never heard of it either. I'm not sure if Yahoo bought it for the Ajax know-how or the value of the company itself. It sounds like the votes are at 1 to 1 right now, and it would be nice to see what others think about Zimbra.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To clarify, the front-end of Zimbra, the part that runs in the browser, is entirely HTML and JavaScript—there is no Java there. The Java runs entirely server-side, and from our experience runs really smoothly.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I hadn't heard of Zimbra before either, until I saw it being heavily advertised online these couple of weeks. They seem to have some really cool stuff going on. But this also comes after Yahoo Mail did a huge overhaul.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Yank View Post
    To clarify, the front-end of Zimbra, the part that runs in the browser, is entirely HTML and JavaScript—there is no Java there. The Java runs entirely server-side, and from our experience runs really smoothly.
    Given that it is written with Java (backend), it should be compatible with almost all OS. I just do not see why the guy on top bashed it some badly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Animedude View Post
    Given that it is written with Java (backend), it should be compatible with almost all OS. I just do not see why the guy on top bashed it some badly.
    That guy seems to be running a personal hate campaign against some companies. That's probably why.

About his comment on speed however, given all the features it has (I just saw the demo video, never tried it out), I'd expect it to bring some memory starved machines to a crawl.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
    I had never heard of it either. I'm not sure if Yahoo bought it for the Ajax know-how or the value of the company itself. It sounds like the votes are at 1 to 1 right now, and it would be nice to see what others think about Zimbra.
    I didn't go through their accounts but I think Yahoo paid a hefty premium for a technology leader in a niche. The price is unlikely to reflect any sort of "real" business performance at this point in time other than the superior, cutting edge technology.
    Cheap web hosting directory listing the cheapest web hosting

Submit articles to an article directory

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    never heard of zimbra

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never heard the zimbra.
    Radio Antenna will let you heard by the world.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am amazed how some people didn't even hear about Zimbra. It received a frenetic publicity a year or two ago for its rich user interface. I actually signed up for the service only to find that it was a bit slow and therefore awkward then. Need to check out how it fares now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of it either =/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zimbra.. sounds more like a safari company never heard of it before.

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebDesignGold View Post
    Zimbra.. sounds more like a safari company never heard of it before.
    lol, it also reminded me of Zebra at first
    Cheap web hosting directory listing the cheapest web hosting

Submit articles to an article directory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a look at it andit didn't impressed me a bit. I can't understand, how yahoo could have paid for such thing so much money.

When I saw this name in the article first time I thought it is aone of these cool community server people love nowadays...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The future of Yahoo depends on their email system, their search engine, API's and web services. So, they they are planning to offer more API's and compete with Google, or at least catch up with their technology. And who can give them the best API's to do something like this? Yes, Zimbra! And, I heard that they also want to pay 1 billon for Facebook.

API = Advertising = $$$

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, very interesting article Kevin. I'd never heard of Zimbra of any or the Ajax resources you've mentioned here. I didn't really pay attention to the whole Ajax movement because I'm not an IE browser user and in all honesty I've been using what was once called "data piping" (using javasctipt and zero pixel images) for almot 10 years now to accomplish the basic Ajax functionality. As far as Java, we used it for a few applications but later found Flash/XML/Sockets to be far more effective than any Java application and MS Exchange server, well, let's just say, I run Linux RHEL5 and Exim for my hosting clients and my own personal uses.

Kevim, can you recommend any RSS feeds to subscribe to about this sort of information as I'm always looking for information like this but subscribing to Techcrunch or similar venues are a bit overwhelming.

Thanks

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin,

> Yahoo! acquires all the coolest companies.

So... How long before Yahoo! acquires Sitepoint then?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still remember how Yahoo! blew it in 2002 when they turned down Google. I think they are not taking any more chances. This time, they'll buy any company that people consider "cool", just in case...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very Interesting. *heads off to make some 'cool' websites*

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, some people here are totally missing the value in Zimbra. They're taking a big bite out of a huge business - enterprise e-mail. With Notes on the decline, Microsoft's the only real player here with Outlook/Exchange Server. Zimbra's brought enterprise-level mail features to the web, which is really appealing in a way current webmail offerings don't match.

As far as money, Zimbra was a profitable company. They were profitable from their first month. They weren't the YouTube-type startup that rides on investment funds til they get bought or go bankrupt, they planned to and did make money from day one. There's so much to be made in the enterprise mail space.

Learn a lot more about Zimbra by listening to Richard MacManus' interview with the CEO on Read/WriteTalk 3 days ago:
    http://readwritetalk.com/2007/10/16/...ired-by-yahoo/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never heard the zimbra before.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just looked at Zimbra's demo, it's really nice, I like it a lot. Is this similar to RoundCube? I'm looking for something to replace Eudora for my business.

SitePoint Enthusiast spiritquest's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been looking at an alternative mail solution for our company. And looked at outsourcing the mail server solutions to a third party. I came across a UK based mail hosting solution using Zimbra, carried on researching, and thought I'd see what buzz (if any) was on Sitepoint.

I'm tempted to download a demo and run it. We are a small company, and would need around 10-20 mail accounts, the beauty of Zimbra, from what i've read/seen, is that it can facilitate push, sync, and enable mobile devices to sync, with desktop apps for PC/Mac (not sure on linux) and a webmail interface, this would open up huge possibilities for us.

I need to carry on researching and maybe check out a couple of the webinars on Zimbra's site.