SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Total CSS Design. CodeName: Spanning

Hi All,

Hey, I'm looking for some input on this new development scheme I'm working on. I was trying to see how this looks on various computers with various browsers. If you're on a Netscape 4.x or lower version, or a IE 3.x or lower browser, sorry. No can do.

Those browsers don't support CSS properly enough, and I'm wondering whether or not Netscape 6.x browsers do either. Unfortunately, I don't have it (neither do I have a desire to use it) according to my WebTrends reports, less than 8% of my traffic is from a Netscape user, over 91% is from IE 5.x and 6.x users. (Most of which when I tested these pages, said they looked fine) so, my opinion is Netscape should become more W3C compliant, and if they did for 6.x and above, good for them, they should have done it sooner.

As for those who use the AOL in program browsers, you can give me your input too, even though it's a modified IE, but I'm sure Eh, oh Hell did what they could to destroy that browser too ( as usual), still, lemme know what your seeing, If you could be a little descriptive, that would be great.

Here's the address:
    http://www.eddieleonard.com/warwickmalltest/

Thanks in advance. Lemme know what you feel about this type of coding, it takes up ALOT less space then conventional HTML. I call it "Spanning" and if you're a hand coder, you'll see why . And no, it's not finished, so I know the map is just an outline, and the stores don't have proper descriptions yet, and some are missing photos, and no directions program on the directions page, yadda, yadda, yadda, I just want a review on the layout and general opinion of the coding, and noticeable flaws. If you could list browser type and version and your OS that would rule .

GenLock
    GenLock
    Edward A. Leonard
    WebMaster - findRI.com - Rhode Island's Online Magazine
    "Destroy Osama bin Laden, and all Terrorists A.S.A.P."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mean to sound condescending, however I'm afraid it's likely going to sound that way. Your spanning isn't exactly new -- it's been used since the concept of CSS came about, although traditionally with <div></div> tags and layers.

As for Netscape 6.x, it's probably the MOST standards compliant browser in existence -- and well worth the download, in my opinion. I cannot access your site due to your browser detection script; you need to re-work it to allow Netscape 6.x clients access.

See you around the forums I hope; and it's a neat site by the way, at least from what I can see in Internet Explorer.

-Colin
    Last edited by Aes; Feb 22, 2002 at 17:25.
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

.net install meltdown
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you got a link to the non-flash page? I'm curious to see the layout, but all I'm getting is a flash page that won't load.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Things that piss me off

Okay, your auto-maximize script is seriously annoying. Not only do you do it on the splash page, but every other page on the site auto-maximizes my browser window. I'm running at 1280x1024, it doesn't need to be maximized, and you have no right to maximize my browser window for me.

Furthermore, your flash animation really needs to have a "skip intro" button, because viewing it more than once is a waste of time.
    ck :: bringing chris to the masses.

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GenLock, I have closed this thread as all requests for feedback should go in either the Website Reviews forum or the Site Elements forum.

I've noticed you have a request awaiting authorisation there which I am about to deal with now.
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!