SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help walk me through this thought process

I would really be interested in some feedback on a process that I would like to have happen but not sure what all is involved. Image this as a way of flow charting my program and looking for a little feed back as to if it makes sense or not.

I am working on the scheduling portion of a calendar. What I would see the steps involved are this:

-click on link to see schedule_event.php. This will load a page that has an I-frame. Inside of this I-frame will be the results of a query to select any scheduled events, sorted in order of date from this day forward. I image this looking like a datagrid from VB.NET. The other portion of the page will have the fields to insert a new event and a 'submit' and 'clear' button.
    -I want to have each row be clickable; when clicked it will populate the fields below. This would be for any needed rescheduling.
    -I guess if some one clicks a row for editing I would also change the button for 'submit' to 'update'. With each respective button doing an INSERT or UPDATE SQL statement.
    -The page would reload after the 'submit'/'update' or 'clear' button is clicked, again running the SELECT statement that populates the I-frame.

I guess what I am not sure of is this - can (or should) this all be done on one page with conditional statements for the events or should clicking on a previously scheduled event load another page, let us call it schedule_update.php? Is an I-frame the best/only way of doing this?

Thanks,

Dan

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why you want to use an IFRAME for though?

I would have the schedule displayed as a calendar as is, where you could move through the dates weekly, and have the actual schedule it's self displayed to the right of the calendar, for that selected week. The schedule would be updated from week to week, pulling the data out of the database as you go.

A user would click on a given schedule for more indepth information, where from there they could modify any data that they want, which once done so, they are redirected back to the schedule for the original week.

With the separate schedule display and modification on a separate page, and the redirect back, this makes the need for the IFRAME redundant. I guess your question is more about UI design and usability, for the workflow rather than how you would develop it?

With your reference to VB.NET I am making the assumption this is from where your coming from; Maybe using an IFRAME is how VB.NET solves the problem however PHP tends towards just making a separate action on a controller instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dr Livingston,

This response is exactly what I was looking for! Yes, my background is on the .NET side.

I am going to walk through your response and see if I understand everything:

I have a need for the end user to just see the events that are already scheduled and the number signed up. The user actually does not want a calendar in this area (go figure). I think what I could do though is a table that shows the event name and number signed up. I will just drop the I-frame from the solution.

I will turn the event name into a link so when clicked it goes to the update page as '.php?id=event_id' and have the schedule_update.php run a SELECT statement for that particular record.

This question is more about the workflow and the number of pages needed. From your post it will look like 2 pages - schedule and update. You put in redirect, would I need that or can I get away with a 'PHP_SELF' on the schedule page and a isset($_POST['update']) conditional statement on the update page?

Thanks for the reply and the insight,

Dan