SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Repeat background image

Hi Guys

I'm trying to repeat an image vertically in the body's background but it needs to start 1em from the top can this be done?

I'm using this code but it just defaults to the top of the page?

background:url(../images/background.gif) center 1em repeat-y;

Any Ideas

Thanks guys

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really given the way that you're doing it as even though you're moving the image down 1em, it'll still repeat vertically into that 1em gap you're trying to create.

If you don't repeat the background image then I suspect the first instance of the background image will be exactly where you want it.

The easiest way around this would probably be to nest another container <div> inside this area and then to apply a top-margin of 1em to create the space instead of the background position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Thanks for your reply, I better have a re-think

Cheers

Crabby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would padding applied to the internal edges not force the repeat to stay clear by 1em?

or could you not make your background image the full width of the window but leave a white border 12px wide on the left and right, repeat-y:repeat and as dave said use a top and bottom margin to achieve the white space
    Last edited by james_littler; Sep 26, 2007 at 07:43. Reason: cant spell

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by james_littler View Post
    would padding applied to the internal edges not force the repeat to stay clear by 1em?
    Nope, the structure of the box-model dictate that the background-image would ignore the padding and only content would be affected by the padding hence only margin or border would affect the background image.

Quote Originally Posted by james_littler View Post
    or could you not make your background image the full width of the window but leave a white border 12px wide on the left and right, repeat-y:repeat and as dave said use a top and bottom margin to achieve the white space
    If it needs to repeat-y; then presumably the height will be dictated by the content. For something like this the best approach would be to add an extra div nested inside with a 1em top-margin.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I'm using this code but it just defaults to the top of the page?
    That's not correct exactly

When you repeat a background image it is repeated along the axis described but it is repeated in both directions. So if you say repeat-y then the image is repeated along the y-axis in both direfctions (up and down.) If you specify no position for the image then it starts at the top and work downwards. However if you specify a position of 1 em (as in your example) the the image is first placed at the 1 em position and then it is repeated up and down in both directions along that axis.

I hope that explains what's going on for you. As Dave said above you will have to nest another container to make some sort of gap or use another element to cover up what you don't want to see.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If its just for an illusion then you could add a 1 em border to the body in the background colour and then the image would appear to start down the page.

e.g.
    Code:
    * {margin:0;padding:0}
    body{
        border-top:1em solid #fff;
        background:#fff  url(bg.jpg) repeat-y 0 1em;
    }

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot for your replies guys I'll check it out