User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why the &bleep& doesn't this work?

I have a c++ application that runs a bunch of simulations and updates my website with the results. Part of the update is an input form which reflects the current state of the system being simulated.

On this input form Ihave a series of drop downs all named as follows:

chooser1
    chooser2
    chooser3

It's more or less like an array

So then to get the value from these drop downs I am doing this

for (var i = 1; i<n; i++){
    var dropName = "chooser" + i;
    selectedValue = document.getElementById(dropName).value;
    }
    But the javascript is hanging up on the getElementById statement (I know this because I've commented it out and the JS flows beyond that point in the code). I have also confirmed that the dropName that is created with the concatenation is accurate.

What am I doing wrong. And is there any way to do with with a proper array rather than this 'hack' array?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi snarky,

You can try using the var statement with the selectedValue variable if you haven't already since ie will reference an id with just the id name.

Two, instead of your hack you can use the selectedIndex property with an onchange event.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

ok, i figured out what was happening here and my approach was workable, but my execution was not, depending on the simulation state not all of the 'choosers' were being created so I had to wrap this around my logic

if (document.getElementById(dropName)){...}
    (I'm sure none of you really care, but I always try to close the loop on my questions for those kind souls who use the search feature.)