SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are Social Bookmarking Sites Worth It?

I've been using onlywire.com to submit my posts whenever I make a post on my blog.

I've seen success with the traffic flow, but besides stumbleupon I usually do not see a ton of traffic.

Do you think social bookmarking sites are worth the effort? if you do, do you think investing in the auto social bookmarking plug-in is a good investment.

I've had my reservations about purchasing in, but I want to believe that you $197 investment is worth.

What do you think?

Shannon Herod

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most social bookmark sites have low quality traffic. They seem to like humor and celebrity sites and not make many sales of products.

You can get traffic but making sales are hard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcj662 View Post
    You can get traffic but making sales are hard.
    I was wondering about this same thing, and that was the issue I was thinking about. Unless you have an ad-sense site, the traffic you get most times would be one-time visitors who are not your target market anyway.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experience the three best places to submit your articles or stories are ****, Reddit and Newsvine. **** will definitely get you some hits, even if you only have one or two votes. Reddit will get you hits right when you submit and maybe some down the line. Newsvne is fairly new but it's taking off very fast and it's my favorite of the bunch.Stumbleupon is really good for delivering you some hits.

I'm interested in this plugn you're talking about. What's it called ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post

I'm interested in this plugn you're talking about. What's it called ?
    There are several plugins, sociable is one of them.
    Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Social Bookmarking sites can help to increase your PR of site within 3 months. Around 15 SB sites are enough to make your site become as the PR3.
    Hot Trend: US$1,109.62 In 3 Days

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not familiar with the plugin you mentioned, but I doubt it would be worth $197. Social bookmarking traffic is worth the effort of submitting for free, but it's probably not high enough quality to spend that kind of money. Like the others have said, it can be hard to make a sale from SB traffic for most niches.

Himanuzo is right, you probably only need to submit to around 15, maybe 20, SB sites to see an improvement in your PR and/or SERPs. There are a couple of free tools you can use to make the submitting easier. Firefox has a great extension called InFormEnter and the free version of Roboform also works pretty well for this.
    Get more backlinks!
    Auto-submission to 300 quality directories for only $20.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by himanuzo View Post
    Social Bookmarking sites can help to increase your PR of site within 3 months. Around 15 SB sites are enough to make your site become as the PR3.
    Actually most social bookmarking sites use nofollow which means they don't pass PR or help your rankings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you track the backlinks, you can notice that all the BL's from the social bookmarking sites use nofollow tag.

The only advantage of the SB sites is that you get traffic, but the traffic is not a targeted one to deliver results for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use social bookmarking sites to help with sheer traffic numbers. I know the quality of traffic will be low and the bounce back rate will be high. But hey, it's always a good thing if one of your posts hits the fan
    CheaperDeals.net - Helping you find the Cheapest Deals

Savvy25.com - For The Young and Savvy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can bookmarking sites help to get more traffic?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, if people click on the links on those sites you get more traffic. Especially if you get listed on their front page.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use furl, gcurious, del.icio.us, propeller, reddit and magnolia because it drive traffic to my two blogs

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Social Bookmarking sites DO help to bring in traffic.

The problem with this would be attracting a lot but not targeted traffic.

To avoid this, Choose the most appropriate category.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most social bookmarking sites uses "nofolllow" tag nowadays. For me, I'm not after the PR, I prefer to have more traffic and good SERP than to have a high PR.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes good SERP and quality traffic is what you should look at if you are selling something.

I hardly visit social bookmarking sites ... I do not understand how many people do and then visit the sites listed there. I guess its just a phase and will die out soon. I dont see future in social bookmarking sites. So the best thing is to concentrate on SERPs to get quality traffic ... thats it.
    For further details JustPayPerPlay.com

SEO India | Nokia mobile phones
    Samsung Mobile Phones

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than submit your homepage, submit each new article you create on your website. I really think it's a waste of time to submit your homepage to social bookmarking websites.

The traffic from Social Bookmarking sites is rather useless, but it's the value that the search engines put on each page submitted that excites me. Think about the long-term when submitting to a social bookmarking website. Don't think about the three or four visitors who will come and leave upon first glance. You don't care about that traffic. Think about the visitors that will come from the search engines after submission to social bookmarking sites.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Actually most social bookmarking sites use nofollow which means they don't pass PR or help your rankings.
    I have a tropical fish website, and, with a combination of Google Sitemaps and submitting each fish profile to a few social bookmarking websites, I ranked on the first page Google for each tropical fish name.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kelp View Post
    I have a tropical fish website, and, with a combination of Google Sitemaps and submitting each fish profile to a few social bookmarking websites, I ranked on the first page Google for each tropical fish name.
    How rare are these fish? How much competition do you have? What's the industry like?

You haven't given enough information here. It's quite possible that your sitemap+social bookmark method got you to the top of google, or it's possible that your pages are the most relevant thing out there about these fish and there are maybe 5 other pages on the web describing them and your rankings have nothing to do with your social bookmarking or sitemap.

Off Topic:

i feel like i'm channelling aspen's spirit here

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well done Chris Vininie.

There are so many factors involved in ranking a page that it's way too speculative to say a sitemap and social bookmarking was the cause for those pages ranking well. In fact, it would be pretty easy to argue against it considering what we know about both of them. We would need to know more about what those terms were but I am sure that it wouldn't take long to see that either the competition for those terms was low, there were their factors liking links that played a much larger role in their success, or even there is just a new content boost.