User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Mr Howard Mr Fine,

I'd like to see the context that those notable authors have encouraged the use of 'progressive degradation' as i'm nearly certain they would say the same thing as me in this case - Use methods that work in all browsers wherever possible, they certainly would not be encouraging people to dismiss the styling in IE6. By all means use advanced CSS to make more advanced browsers look better. In this particular case you should use a simple class name if possible so that IE6 users(the majority) can see your style.

I'm actually quite shocked at the disregard for this browser so quickly after IE7 has emerged. As if overnight it became an antique and we no-longer needed to care about it's users. That is a grand grand mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Progressive degradation and progressive enhancement are the same thing, assuming that in the worst case you still have something usable. It's semantics.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, technically they're different, depending on how the Web page is coded.

If you start with the end result, and then work your way back, you're degrading the performance of a Web page. This can have unintended consequences.

However, if you start from the top and work your way down, adding layers to your page (structure, appearance, functionality) and test at each stage to ensure that the page is still accessible and usable even without features X and/or Y present, then you're enhancing the work product.

That's the way I look at it anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    If you start with the end result, and then work your way back, you're degrading the performance of a Web page. This can have unintended consequences.
    True, but in this case, those who say they're using progressive degradation are in fact keeping in mind the worst case scenarios from the beginning, just as those who call what they do progressive enhancement aren't going to be surprised by the enhanced version of their pages just because they started with something basic. Both are planning and working with both ends of the spectrum in clear view.

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markbrown4 View Post
    Mr Howard Mr Fine,
    they certainly would not be encouraging people to dismiss the styling in IE6. By all means use advanced CSS to make more advanced browsers look better.
    They aren't saying to dismiss styling IE6 (and 7). They are saying "use all advanced methods available to modern browsers" but don't let advanced browsers and their users suffer just because IE6/7 can't use some advanced/modern methods.

IE has always held back the web and what they are advocating is "why should we let it?" Since IE6/7 is always bringing up our rear, let's take charge of things and use what's available rather than dumbing everything else down.

I had read two articles online by these authors about that which were included in the book. I'll have to search for them.