SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

File hosting service - please review...

Ok, so I have another free file hosting service. This one does not require any registration.

Link

Please give me your thoughts.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's nothing really there. Lots of whitespace on the site but no information or prompting of what the service is for, why would I want to upload files to you, and when I do how do I get to them again or get them back? Looking at it from someone that doesn't know much you would not get them to do anything. Looking at it from someone that does know something not anything to reassure or prompt me to use this site or the other one to be honest, once I saw the first one, even though I can open an account with the other it still feels a little empty in comparisson to other services that do the same thing.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pcfactor, thank you for your criticism.

Lots of whitespace on the site but no information or prompting of what the service is for, why would I want to upload files to you, and when I do how do I get to them again or get them back?
    So basically, you're saying you need more information on the page in order to know what kind of service it is and to trust it?

I can understand that for someone who isn't used to services like this, but to everyone else (which happen to be the target segment) it should be pretty clear what it's all about. Also, one of the basic ideas behind the site was to create something less bloated and messy than many of the existing sites. You say it's a "little empty", well, that's on purpose - I'd prefer "kept simple", though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say also that there needs to more description text of what the site is for. If someone randomly found themself on the site they might be a bit confused and leave. You want to keep them. It doesn't matter if you are targetting "uploaders", you want EVERYONE who finds the site to want to use it. The person might even know someone else who would find the website useful.

In the header you have written the URL as "www.upload50.com" when it should be "upload50.com" without the www.

When you add a slot for another file, there is nothing to let users know whether it is 50 mb for each file, or for all files together.
    Me on StackOverflow | Blog & personal website.

I mostly use: PHP, Java, JavaScript, Android.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The logo on the second page is muffed.

Plus pressing back on your browser breaks everything.

Might want to look into those bugs.

Jeff.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your reviews, guys. I have changed some things now. Mainly the download interface has been improved, and is now showing a preview thumbnail if the uploaded file is an image. Also, more information is added.