SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have different interests. Should they go in the same blog?

My two main interests include video games, web design, and at the other end, DJing and electronic music. Sometimes these topics might intermingle in an interesting experience but mostly they don't. Now I have a blog, writing on mostly video games but I want to include my passion for music as well. What do you suggest I do? This sounds like a situation in which I can polarize an audience because most gamers won't be interested in DJing or vice versa. How do writers keep their fan base by covering very different topics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would depend on what you want do achieve with the blog. If it's solely for monetization, having separate focused blogs would be best. If it's more of a passion, I'd have it all in one blog. That would tell someone about who you are.

I am a web developer, and I also like gaming and electronic music. So there's probably lots of people like us around.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    See if there are group blogs in your areas of interest. If there's a group blog run by a bunch of DJs for example, try getting a once a week writing spot on their site. That way you don't alienate your original audience, you get a chance to build a new one, and as a guest/partial contributor, you have a low-risk way of breaking into a new niche without having to commit too much time into designing/building a new blog.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We definitely need to know your objectives. For me, I would choose two seperate blogs, but this is based on my history with blogs and what my blogging goals are. What do you hope to achieve with your blog?
    Sara

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think you can include it. Blogging is not only about giving information or money-making, it can be just your journal talking about anything and everything you want and your visitors may relate to your thoughts and experience through leaving their comments about your posts.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think if it's a personal blog, then yes, all-in-one is fine. But if it is niche-focused, then no.

But, here's one way to look at it: the more stuff on your blog about more topics the more search engine hits you are likely to get.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the topic but most webmasters would agree that going offtopic is usually hazardous to your traffic. Makes you look inconsistent and as this article mentions .
    http://www.publishersweblog.com/blog...s-of-blogging/

Not worth it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if its personal then you should be fine, If its themed then stick to the theme.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like others have said, if its personal, and you really don't care who comes and what they think of your blog, then be as "unfocused" as you want, setup a cheap host, and blog away...

But if you hope to make money or get a cohesive community forming around your blogging efforts, you should really think about narrowing your blogging to a specific niche.

It not only makes it easier for you to target your promotional efforts but will give your users a better experience when they come to your site.
    John Lutter
    www.kitestop.com
    Kite shopping made simple.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

blog focus

My blog is about my personal interests. So far my only "active" area is for the WordPress plugins. But if I feel like going off, I do that too.
    Bad attitude perhaps, but I figure it's my site, if you don't want to see something don't look at it.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's mainly made to get more traffic as a loyal following of readers, and am trying to develop a theme for it. And making some money on the side wouldn't hurt. So I guess I'll split my interests between two blogs, a gaming one and a DJ/music one. At the most I will only cross-link between both my blogs in the links area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since these two niches are very much on opposite ends of the spectrum, it would be hard to combine them into the one blog - unless it's a personal-oriented blog rather than a niche-based blog.
    SUPPORT FOR NEW BLOGGERS - TRY THE Blogging Forum