User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Form class/validation

Hi,

I know this topic has been beaten to death in the forums but I still havent found what im looking for.

I do not want to use pear quickform because the application will be distributed to a lot of shared hosts (as a commercial script). I also do not want to re-invent the wheel.

What is the next best form generator/validator/etc. besides quickform?
    Or in other words an already built class that can be used?

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you can download pear quickform class on its own, without the whole library, here. As long as you keep the copyright notice in the class file, you can redistribute it.

There are alot of options available, but I would say that the best one would be to make your own. It's not hard - but can be tedious.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i recommend to use Dreamweaver cs3 , it is perfect in form generating , validation , only some clicks and you are ready

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All PEAR classes have dependancies that prevent you from just using that class. Some can be modified to work standalone, if you want to take the time to do it. Several PHP frameworks have the raw code to do it.

I use Dreamweaver occasionally but I wouldn't recommend the auto-generated code it provides. It's much too verbose and harder to maintain. Not because Adobe doesn't know how to code an editor, but because any auto-generated code has to be made that way in order to adapt to every possible situation. Manual coding will always produce a more streamlined code base.

I've coded my own based on experiences working with forms and the ideas I have seen in other projects. That's what I would recommend.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes making my own would be the best solution, but as mentioned tedious and I don't want to reinvent the wheel. So PEAR libraries can be included in commercial applications?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the problem is that the PEAR deployment model is geared toward installation with PHP. A developer normally has to rely on the distribution already being installed and in the include path. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't, sometimes the versions of certain files are not up to date. You would have to include either the portion of the distro that you needed plus dependancies or modify the classes you want to work standalone.