SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zend Framework - Multiple Sites with one copy of code

Would there be any sort of downside to sticking one copy of the Zend Framework in a base directory somewhere on a webserver and have multple sites include and use that one copy of the framework code? Are there any sort of resource usage issues or performance issues that could/would occur? Would it be better to have a copy of the framework installed separately for each site on a server?
    -- Steve Caponetto
    Quake 1 Resurrection :: CreedFeed

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no problems at all, The Pear framework does the same thing.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either way you do it, you have multiple sites accessing the files on the same desk, so you'll end up with the same bottleneck: disk I/O. Since PHP does not lock files as they are being executed, you will not end up with Site A waiting around twiddling its thumbs while Site B is using the ZF library.

The short answer: There will be no performance penalty for using a single ZF library for multiple sites. In fact, there may even be a performance bonus due to the hard disk and/or the OS caching frequently-accessed files, albeit a very slight and probably unnoticeable one.

I would recommend a single centralized ZF library. This will make maintenance/upgrades easier as you have a single directory to manage instead of several.
    PHP questions? RTFM
    MySQL questions? RTFM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kromey View Post
    I would recommend a single centralized ZF library. This will make maintenance/upgrades easier as you have a single directory to manage instead of several.
    This was my intention and why I asked this question. I wanted to stick one ZF copy somewhere so all the sites can access the one copy so if I need to upgrade the ZF package I only have to do it once.
    -- Steve Caponetto
    Quake 1 Resurrection :: CreedFeed

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kind of on-topic but reading this makes me wonder, on a "multi-site from one Framwork" idea like this, does ZF play nicely with APC?