User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

review my t-shirt website..

Hi people.

I've just finished a new design for my t-shirt site, urban breakdown and could use your discerning eyes.

I'm happy with it, although my CSS is really quite basic and I'm still struggling on a few things. I understand that the top nav bar is wrongly aligned in IE, can anyone advise on what I should change to fix this?

Otherwise, just looking for general opinions and constructive criticism.

It's intended as more of a portfolio piece than a business venture, though a few sales would be nice of course! Planning to launch a US version (powered by Spreadshirt US @ ubdown.com - need to put a holding page there atm!).

Lastly, any tips for SEO? I'm clueless when it comes to this, and would like to get some people passing through!

Thanks

aj

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the layout still needs more work. It seems to rely upon having the right window width. Too wide and the main content shifts over to the right, past the nav bar which looks odd. Too thin and the "design your own" and the bottom of the splat drops down.

Clicking create your own gives a cfm file not found error.

As for seo, well... there isn't really any text there at the moment for the search engines to index. The one page you already have that might have been good for that - the faq - has nothing on it.

Once you actually have some content you need a non-www to www canonical redirect to avoid the risk of a duplicate penalty from the search engines.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Site looks great AJ, love the colour scheme.

It doesn't line up well in IE though. Don't you just hate compatibility issues?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback gents.

@ triangulum - thanks! God, don't even talk to me about that... Total b*tch!

@ Freemeere - Yeah, you're right. There are a few issues at the moment. The FAQ's need to be done. As it states, I am actually on holiday at the moment, just accessing a stray wireless network at the moment to send this! I've had trouble with the bottom div and modified something since I've been here, consequently I've messed up the spacing of the page. I think it might be stretched incorrectly on a bigger monitor.

I will be addressing these when I get home.

Re the 'canonical redirect' - what do you mean by this?

I have posted a thread on SEO basics and received some excellent advice which I will be following up. Thanks for the heads up on the 'design your own' error, now fixed.

Anymore feedback/ideas from anyone?

Thanks!

aj

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything looks pretty good to me from a SEO stand point. I ran your site through analysis software and everything seem to be in the ball park.

The only critical comments was:

Some search engines penalize web sites if the search terms of the Meta Keywords tag don't appear in the body text of the web page. The search term "uk hip-hop" of your Meta Keywords tag doesn't seem to be mentioned in the body text of your web page. You should either remove this search term from your Meta Keywords tag, or add the search term to the body text of your web page

This was repeated several times for every keyword in the meta that was not in the body.

It also recommended more content. Search engines love content and is the only way to get good ranking.

Otherwise looks real nice.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your left "design your own" badge has white box the back, is it part of your design or not? My opinion better don't use the box on the badge

Btw I check with ie7, ff, and opera they all same have white box behind the badge

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does not look perfect on 1400x1050 resolution. The content should either not be right aligned or it should be more floating.

The graphics for your tees is good looking, but the links to buying them does not seem to work.

SitePoint Enthusiast josechukkiri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very nice site. Well done.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re canonical redirect:

At the moment your web server serves up the same content at urbanbreakdown.co.uk and www.urbanbreakdown.co.uk . If you had any content that might interest the search engines in the first place then this runs the (low but unnecessary) risk of the www and non-www versions of the website being confused as duplicate content. Reactions to duplicate content range from nothing (except splitting link popularity if people link to both versions, meaning that each version is competing against the other), through dropping one, to dropping both. If all requests to the non-www version get a 301 moved permanently http header from the web server to the relevant www page (i.e pointed in the direction of the "canonical address) then that is a non-www to www canonical redirect. Plenty of confusing terminology in this paragraph. Plenty of examples of how to do it available through Google

As to meta-tags. I think a penalty is unlikely. They are just not going to have the potential (small) benefit that they can have if they are not backed up by on page content. Paths, Titles, meta-tags and headings should all be specific to the page (not the site) but not identical.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses guys, appreciate the feedback.

Fremeere - god, trying to get my head around that! :S

I have played with a few things since getting back this afternoon. It should be more friendly in regards to larger resolutions now, although I am back with the problem of a non-extending gradient on the footer which I've got to look at. Plus the horizontal alignment in IE. Otherwise it seems to be coming along ok!

Have now noticed that the t-shirts do not appear to load in the iFrame in IE. Weird, since there is no problem in FF? Another thing on the list.

Have also been taking on board SEO advice. Titles are now unique and specific to the design, while I'm also looking into other possibilities. Thanks again!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't work with FF either..

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now added FAQ and pagination.

dford - yeah? Works ok for me. Although there may be a problem with sessions, for whatever reason. Will be looking at this closely tomorrow.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really loved your logo...very nice!!

Regarding the home page, do you think something can be done to center the page and leave blank spaces on both side of the website?

Lemme know if you need any help with the same.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks dude!

Err... yeah, I guess it could! I'm not all that hot on CSS though and it seems like quite a mission. Any advice on how I'd go about that?

aj

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. My only suggestion is using the same background color for the content as the rest of the site.
    anyone seen my website link?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good to me. Anyway to make the design boxes expand or change some how on mouse over? That would make it look a lot cooler and encourage the users to put a mouse over each one (giving them time to think about it).
    T35.com Web Hosting Free Web Hosting & Free Image Hosting
    Providing Quality Web Hosting Since 1997 | AIM: T35Management

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it looks great! Like the logo, very straightforward design, provides the user information instantly about what the site is about.

Nice job.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zealivity5 View Post
    Very nice. My only suggestion is using the same background color for the content as the rest of the site.
    Thanks! Yeah, I think that might actually work quite well. However, I quite like how it outlines each part of content, so I'll leave it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by amelen View Post
    Looks good to me. Anyway to make the design boxes expand or change some how on mouse over? That would make it look a lot cooler and encourage the users to put a mouse over each one (giving them time to think about it).
    Another good idea.. It is pretty slow to load already, though! For now I'm happy with how it is. If it starts getting a decent amount of traffic I may look at doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish.ness View Post
    I think it looks great! Like the logo, very straightforward design, provides the user information instantly about what the site is about.

Nice job.
    Thanks man! Appreciated!

It's certainly changed a lot since the top of this thread, anyhow. It's now fully HTML compliant/validated! That's a first for me.

Also it's SEO optimised, with different titles and keywords for each design page, and most other elements are completed. Now I can just get on with making some more designs.

Thanks people.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool site. the only thing i dont care for is not having any space between the navigation and the content. I'm using FF 1024x768

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice site, good color combination. well done