User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to implement Chat room in ASP.NET?

Hello All,

I have to implemet the chat 37 rooms in my site in ASP.NET1.1, and i am new to ASP.NET.

I searched i got the www.tufat.com but it is for PHP and something with FlashChat v 4.7.12.

Could anybody please let me know how to start with chat room in ASP.NET1.1?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by prietysweety; Sep 20, 2007 at 04:12.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, you have little .NET experience and you want to implement a real-time, multi-user, distributed application? Your best bet in all honesty is to hire someone.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello wwb_99,

I know that i have little experience to develop but i have to develop on my own so could you let me know how to start with as i mentioned above i searched like that i think i have to go for ajax with ASP.NET to develop a chat room and unfortunatly i am new to AJAX also?

please give me the direction to start atleast

Thanks in advance

SitePoint Guru Chroniclemaster1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm an intermediate .NET programmer who's been doing this for a couple years and there's no way I would attempt this. There are a lot of different jobs to do. That's why it's usually large development teams that tackle stuff like this.

If you can't hire someone to build it for you, the most sensible thing to do is do some research into the applications that are already built and available. Some are open source, some are available for a small registration fee, some are full blown communication applications that you typically pay a monthly fee to provide the service on your website. Once you have an idea what's available you can decide how much functionality you're willing to pay for.

If you're REALLY serious about building your own chat application, get ready. You're doing the equivalent of building a house all by yourself. It's going to take a long time, and while it will be cheaper than having it done for you, it's still going to cost a chunk of change. You'll need to get web hosting, and probably a domain name. You'll want to upgrade to asp.net 2.0 or you'll be programming everything old school, and that's like building a house with one hand tied behind your back. You can download it with Visual Web Developer Express at www.asp.net, and best it's free). Then you're going to get a couple of good ASP.NET books. Exactly which ones would be good I don't know. Thumb through the table of contents and look for books that have information about communications, maybe even an example of how to build a chat room program if you're lucky.
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
    Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.

Chroniclemaster1, Founder of Earth Chronicle
    A Growing History of our Planet, by our Planet, for our Planet.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Chroniclemaster1,

Thanks a lot for the info you have provided. I will definitely try it out
    thanks once again

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    prietysweety: I think you really need to learn when to decline a job as beyond your skill set.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello wwb_99,
    No not , I am not going to decline my job what can happened at most, I will take more time than estimated one.At any how, atleast I will try before giving up. So i request you to guide me to proceed in proper direction

Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you will take longer than estimated, presumably charging more to deliver what will probably a substandard product?

I would decline the job rather than risk that myself.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this reply your reading here pertains more to sharepoint stuff but i had to recently look for a web part chat and stumbled across this link. I got it up and tweaked it a bunch and it works really well but you'd have to change the functionality a bit on this one since the chat items dump into a list in sharepoint by default. Anyhow, it's in C# and javascript and this is the link. You could at least download the code and check that out. Good luck with your chats, it seems like you have a hill to climb on this one.

http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/arc...harepoint.aspx