SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Optimizing Flash Files

I'm looking for tips on how to optimize my flash files, should I convert everything to symbols, break apart, .gif, .png. I am talking about the end result .swf file.

I've seen some incredible sites out there that load very fast. I'm wondering how I can make my flash projects lighter in size. I normally import a image and make it a symbol and leave it at that. I'm not the best designer and know little actionscript.

Any tips from the more advanced users would be greatly appreciated

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right ideas really. Keep the use of bitmaps to a minimum and when you do use one, first optimise the images before importing into flash and then convert it straight into a symbol. Then play around with the jpeg export options to get the best result for file size. Reusing existing sysmbols as much as possible is the best way to keep the file size down. Same goes for sound clips that you use.

The sites you see may have kept the file size down by splitting the movie into a number of seperate movies and then using the loadMovie() actionscript statement to load parts of the site as a nd when required. I use this for most of my Flash projects as it means that the user only has to load what they are going to use.

Another tip is for when you are embeding fonts. For example, a blank movie is about 300 bytes. If you stick in a text field (input or dynamic) and embed all the outlines of a font, it goes up to about 26 kiloBytes so make sure that you only export the font outlines for that you need (see the Text Options panel -> Embed fonts).

Apart from that chuck a preloader in on the start of any appropriate movies so that user know whats going on and how long they are going to wait.

Happy flashing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Optimizing Flash Files

Try and avoid using Frame > Tweening were ever possable, if you dont need complicated movement (ie. following a Guide Layer) you can achieve this with ActionScript or by setting your starting (say Frame 1) and finishing point (Frame 10) and change all the Frames in between to KeyFrames (F6) then you just need to Align (Ctrl+K) all the Symbols evenly between tho's two points.

Only use TraceBitmap for raster images with very few colors if you've got the time re-create all the bitmap images you can from scratch using the Flash editors drawing tools (or Freehand)

have a good one!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Just my two cents: using shared libraries combined with multiple movies tactic may greatly reduces these movies size. For instance, you can share some common elements, such as buttons or sounds or fonts across your site.

Good luck!