User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Photoshop: preserving font size during resize

Hi folks.

I'm working on a web graphic in photoshop. To preserve quality and keep my options open, I'm working on the image at 3 times the final res. My problem is that to test the image (and for final output) I need to resize the image to save. However, when the fonts resize with the image, I have no control over the precise point size.

For the font to be readable on the final output, I need the text to be precicely 8pt, however when I scale the image down, it scales from 18pt to 7.25. the unfortunate result is ugly text (i'm using no anti-aliasing).

Is there any way to set the font size on the large image so that it DOESN'T scale when resizing the whole image?

Thanks for your help!

Neil
    Neil Creek
    http://www.gravitoncity.com
    http://www.orionvisuals.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its interesting to see that you are doing your web graphics larger than actual size and then reducing to the final size.

I've always done my web work at actual size so I don't really get that problem. Can't you just add the text in once you have reduced the file.

qamar

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that by working with larger versions I'm able to achieve a higher quality output. It also allows me to do lots of changes to the images (resizing/scaling) without introducing quality issues in the final image.

I can add the text after I've resized, but given that I'm doing all of my editing in th larger format, it's a pain to have to redo the text every time I want to test the image (it's got lots of rollovers etc).

The other reason I want to be able to do this is that if I ever need to make any changes to the image, all I'd have to do is change the large version then just resize and save. Having to change all the fonts each time is a real pain.
    Neil Creek
    http://www.gravitoncity.com
    http://www.orionvisuals.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are using Photoshop 5.5/6, why don't you just manually change the point size after the resize?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photoshop keeps a text box proportionate to the size of the image when the image itself is resized. Therefore whether you're aliasing your text or not, the resulting image (when resized) should look just like the image if you entered the text manually. Text size is text size. If it doesn't look good at 7.25 then it doesn't look good at 7.25. Possibly try another font or turn on anti-aliasing.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you must work this way then you'll probably get cleaner results all round by working at either 200% or 400% (and not 300%)

When you come to scale down to output size the pixel interpolation will be more crisp.

The interpolation will make a more 'even' job of guessing 1/4 and 1/2 pixels than it will of guessing 1/3rd pixels. 1/3 will create an interpolation problem because it has recurring decimal places (0.3333333333....) whereas 0.5 and 0.25 don't.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by Bill Posters; Feb 22, 2002 at 12:15.
    New Plastic Arts: Visual Communication | DesignateOnline

Mate went to NY and all he got me was this lousy signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also do web images at 2x res, sometimes 4x, just seemed natural...good point about pixel interpolation!

Im amazed that as the text is not anti-aliased you are having problems. However, this is VERY small, even though font sizes vary! Have you tried viewing this at 1280x1024... I would suggest that you go for a slightly bigger point size, and not worry about the accuracy too much on resize, it really sounds like you are on dangerous ground even if the text is not anti-aliased. I know this will probably screw everything up, but better to get it right at this stage rather than replace all those rollovers etc in the future!!
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doh...keep doing this! One more point is that I sometimes use a little 'unsharp mask' once it is resized to crisp up the resized image.
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips